4 runner won't start up after passing smog test, ran like a champ before.

Asked by Aug 04, 2014 at 11:48 PM about the 1986 Toyota 4Runner 2 Dr Deluxe

Friend mechanic tested and said, fuel system good, timing good, sensors look good.  ???
Had just recently replaced plugs, plug wires, rotor, distributor cap, truck ran like a champ, took right into smog shop for test, they said it almost didn't pass, drove it home, ran great.  Tried to start two days later and nothing, wouldn't crank over, friend got it to start but wouldn't keep running...  shop goof with it?

3,255

chek your catalytic converter , may be plugged ...

3,255

also , if someone revved the hell out of it could have knocked loose all the carbon in the combustion chambers , this will also make it not start or run like total shit ...

Thanks for the insight, I'm not very polished at engine troubleshooting. Catalytic converter is relatively new, only a few thousand miles. Not really sure how to check it or clean combustion chambers...

3,255

that's over my head then

3,255

what motor does it have ?

22,685

good thing that it passed before it messed up- my guess is that the timing of the failure is just a coincidence- it happens like that- could just be one of the usual suspects, that is a 20th Century truck and it should not be hard for a good mechanic to diagnose-