Why will the check engine light stay on all the time? Could this be a fuse that needs replacing? The computer will not communicate when plugged in to find out why it is on.

45

Asked by Jun 14, 2012 at 03:29 PM about the 1997 Dodge Intrepid 4 Dr ES Sedan

PLEASE HELP! Why will the check engine light stay on all the time? Could this be a fuse that needs replacing? The
computer will not communicate when plugged in to find out why it is on. I did the disconnect the battery and run it for
200 miles to reset it and at 225 miles, the light came back on.

228,815

The light is on, because there is a code stored in the cars PCM or computer. You might not be using the a correct scan tool to retrieve it. It isn't a fuse, but one of the car sensors detecting a fault, which might be the sensor itself or something is out of range triggering it. Best left to the expert to diagnose your issue vs throwing parts at your car.

45

Even the smog tech computer could not communicate with it.....

11,655

If no computers will communicate with it, its because there is a problem either with the OBDII data port, or the wires leading to it. Either one of those will trigger a check engine light. the only way to find out is to get a voltage specification sheet for your Data Link Connector and go after it with a DVOM, to find out which pins arent working.

45

I have no idea what that means.....

11,655

Your OBDII data port is what the smog computer communicates with your car through basically. Some times over time the communication wires, or the power wires to this port corrode, break, etc etc... it will cause a code and turn on your engine light, and not allow a scanner or computer to communicate with the car

45

Oh ok, now that I do understand :) Thanks, So today the car wouldnt start and turned out to be a loose battery connection, So after I tightened them it started right up and the check engine light is now off. Is it possible for AAMCO to clear the codes at this point, there may be old codes that need to be removed. I have no problems with the car running, just the light comes on....

11,655

the AAMCO garage may be able to now at this point yes. IF not though your gonna have to get your OBDII connector fixed

145

it could be ur cat converiers are full of gas

45

OK Got the results from the check engine light. Had a fuse missing for the interior lights, so the computer could not be read. Now, that said and done I found out my Catalytic Converter is not operating to its full extent of its abilities. Do I need to replace it, or can it be repaired???

11,655

your going to have to replace it. over time the CAT will become clogged with various particles due to the nature of operation. theyre not very cheap though

20

Kim, don't bother with it unless you've got a few thousand bucks you want to donate to your local garage. Replacing the cat conv. is a typical response from any garage. Not worth it to YOU. Check yor gas cap ( remove it and screw it back on tight until you feel it rasping in your hand) This is a very typical problem and is an easy resolution to fixing the check eng. light problem.

11,655

as gas cap is going to cause an evaporative emissions leak codes, not a Catalyst operation below threshold code.

11,655

a catalyst operation below threshold code is typically one of two things, either a faulty heated oxygen sensor, or a coverter. the later of the two will throw its own code along with the cat operation code.

45

Thanks for all the input everyone. This car is totaled now so I guess I dont need the answers any more, just a new car! Have a great day.

I replaced my knock sensor but my check engine light still on say my knock sensor.

Keep your car at least half full of gas and never run it almost empty and open and close you gas cap from time to time and the light may go off. This worked for me just sayin :)

I had to have OS senors replaced after katrina, could this be what is making the light stay on also