Restoring Costs

Asked by Mar 29, 2011 at 09:58 AM about the 1965 Ford Mustang Standard Coupe

Hi everyone...!!! I need an idea about the costs of restoring the Mustang 65
(Interior,Exterior and Engine). . can anyone help me please? Any advice would be so
appreciated.

185

IDK how much needs done on yours but I have a 65 with a 200 straight 6. I got EXTREMELY lucky and found a guy who could do everything and who was willing to do it in his freetime for CHEAP. Not including parts (cant remember how much parts and such was... I think it was around $5000) we only paid about $1200 dollars and the ONLY problem this car still has is the rear windows dont go up/down.

185

Should probably also mention that by "everything" I mean the body and interior... My dad and I did all the engine work ourselves.

if you want it done right,expect 10 K or more.

75

Tough question to answer without seeing the car. It depends greatly on who is doing all the work. If you can do some of it, that's a big help. If not, you'll have to pay hourly labor/flat fees for the jobs that are needed. The parts are all available through many sources, catalogs, etc. online so that you can get an idea of what things cost. My personal suggestion would be to expect to take everything out of the interior and start from scratch and do it nice. Easier that way anyway. Then you can do flooring work if needed (sheet metal) and if not, do the carpets for sure. Then work your way up, any seat work, doors, dash, headliner, etc. In the long run, if you're going to keep the car and want it real nice, this is the only way to go. Good luck.

75

Oh, I forgot. You want to do the body and the engine also. Again, a body shop/mustang restorer would have to see the car and go over it for damage, rust, etc. if there is any. The best time for that would be when the engine is out. The engine resto. is limitless too. From stock to highly modified (that would be me) can run from a couple thousand to the sky. If you want to keep it original, a basic rebuild would be one way to go. Many guys buy "crate" motors and put them in. Saves all the machine work, time, hassle, etc. of rebuilding an old one. So, again, my recommendation would be in this order: 1)Motor out 2) body work 3) then the interior last. This way, you have easy access to the engine compartment, etc. for repair and painting with no engine in the way. Also, this frees up a ton of room for suspension work, and painting the engine compartment. And you paint the car before the interior work so nothing gets on the new interior, etc. in the process of a paint job, which will include door jambs, etc. OK!

NICE RIDE.