2013 Hyundai Sonota all of a sudden won't start

10

Asked by Aug 07, 2013 at 09:11 PM about the 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

All the power, radio & the light  comes on but when turn the ignition it doesn't make a sound.

Call the dealership~

10

Thanks!!!! I just don't know what it could be.

155

there were problems with the remote starter kit installed on the 2013 Sonatas. You need to contact the dealer to check if yours is affected by the defective remote start kits installed for some 2013 Sonatas. Good luck! If yours does not have the remote start kit installed you need to verify voltage is going to the starter when you start it. If it is a push button style, it is triggered by a computer and eventually a relay which provides eventual 12-volts to your starter.

60

Did you ever figure out why it won't start? My 2013 sonata suddenly won't start sometimes. Called AAA and they got it started after manually locking and unlocking it from the outside??? He said it is a problem with the security system? Need to get it to a dealership I suppose but all are completely out of my way.

90

does anyone have any further updates on this problem? my 2013 sonata is doing the same thing

40

My 2012 sonata doing the same. Dealer wont fix it because he cant replicate the problem. It only happens intermittently!!

80

I got myself a Lemon Law Attorney. He is working on my case as we speak. 1 800 LEMON LAW If the Attorney accepts your case and you follow what he tells you to do, THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE TO YOU! Hyundai HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR YEARS and as long as no one puts up a fight. They will NEVER correct this problem. People get fed up and they trade in or sell the car for something else. My wife bought a 2013 Hyundai Sonata LE brand new, she traded in a 1997 Honda Accord that never gave her any trouble. Since she has the Sonata it has been in the shop for weeks at a time. The dealer can't duplicate the problem which is, she has a push button start button . It starts and won't start at any moments notice? This car has been towed twice in the past 2 months. The dealer says, they can't fix a problem they can't find, no error codes,the car is fine. I advise anyone with this problem to at least speak to this attorney and see what they say about your situation. I was told that I do have a case. I wish good luck to all!

320

Hi...My Hyundai car is not starting at all....All of a sudden nothing is working. Its so mysterious. I can not even open my doors with remote locking. I can not even shift my gears while car. My lights are not working. Hell, even trunk is not opening. Worst, even gas fuel lid is not opening. Its like total shut off !!! I have not idea what the hell just happened to my car.

60

My grandmother has a 2013 that does this, twice now. They said first time it was a blown fuse. Lights all come on like normal until you hit start then nothing. Everything goes out. Stealership charged her $150!!!!!! Shouldn't that be under warranty? It's only a year and a half old and WELL under the mileage....

350

Hi, I had the same problem of car intermittently not start for months. Did lots of research and tried lots of things but couldn't pinpoint the issue. But I think my issue is finally resolved. Hope this will work for you as well. Also, my car is push start button, but might be applicable to a turn- key model. - The first time the car didn't start, I tried jumping it, and it eventually started - As a newbie to this issue, I thought the battery was going bad, so I replaced the car battery - It happend again a few days later, out of frustration I'd pump the brakes, open/close door, lock/unlock door, and it'd start after a few minutes - Took the car to the dealer, they couldn't reproduce. So I had to take it back home - Issue reoccurred every other day, and I'd repeat the same sequence I did previously - Replaced the remote battery, still no luck - Got sick of it, took it back to the dealer. They kept the car overnight and still couldn't reproduce. However, they decided to replace the brake switch to see if the problem goes away - Took the car home, issue still didn't go away - Saw some comment online somewhere about car might not be fully in "Park" position. But I checked and my car indeed showed that it's in "Park" position. - So what I started doing whenever the car doesn't start, after the "On" button has been press (lights are lit up): + Keep foot on the brake + Move shifter out of the "Park" position (e.g. to "N") + Move shifter back into "Park" + Press the "On" button again... car starts immediately. Works every time - I took a video of the intermittent starting issue and the workaround, took it to the dealer and described my workaround. They checked and replaced the Switch-Inhibitor ("42700R00 Switch Assy-Transmission Range") The switch is probably the culprit. Issue hasn't returned since.

80

I had the same problem with my Hyundai Sonata 2013. I took it to the dealer they checked it and replaced the Switch-Inhibitor ("42700R00 Switch Assy-Transmission Range") to solve the problem

140

I HAVE THE ANSWER TO THIS WICKED STARTING ISSUE.....REALLY!!! insert the smart key into the smart key holder. ****this holder is located in the center console, bottom section. (where you would keep your personal belongings! (Under the right armrest !). Insert the key FOB face up into the slit that is in the very front wall of the compartment with the key ring in your hand. It slides in smoothly (might click a little). At this point, press on the pedal as usual; press in the push start button. &&& that is IT. To remove the FOB just push it in gently it should pop right out. I believe you can charge the FOB by leaving it there for 5 to 7 minutes (check that one out to be sure: I have not done this yet as I just purchased the car last week). Check out section 5 / pg.10 in the 2013 Hyundai Sonata (may be another page in another year's manual. Barbara

20

I have Hyundai Sonata 2011. I have the same problem with the starting problem. I have visited the dealership 4 times in a month. Initial the dealership told me that my battery is dead, needs a new one. Installed a new battery. After two months, the same problem arise that my car won't start and somehow the battery power drained out. The dealership blamed it on remote starter, paid them to remove the starter but after three days, the problem still the same. They tested the battery and alternator and said it was good. Now I am so frustrated, I don't know if they will fix it. Everytime the dealership say something different and but they could not find the root of the problem that cause the car not to start or why the battery died off. Recently I found that When I turned the ignition, the car crank a bid and later died off and right after I hear some kind of sound ticking near the battery area. It sounds like battery was draining out. Now my car won't even start with the Jump starter. Can someone please advise or have any idea what is going on? My car mileage is only 75,000 km.

10

scotvanho dealer just installed 42700R00 for same problem. Will see if it works. Thanks to all the people who have posted. My wife loves her 2013 sonata hybrid but this is no good.

It's the starter, have it towed to Hyundai they'll take care of it in a day.

10

my Sonata was not starting and i found out that if I dont put the manual brake on before i put the parking gear before turning it off , whem i try to turn it on wont start. to solve this i had to press on regular brake and turn shift gear to reverse or any other and back to park and that started my car! I am still taking it to the dealership

That might be the best route to go, is a dealership for repair.

10

My 2013 Sonata started doing the same thing recently. Checked for recalls. There is the Campaign 123 recall for this car. Just got back from hyundai dealer who fixed the shift cable which causes it to detach & not be in the gear it looks like it is in (park). I described what it did had to shift to reverse then back to park to crank & he said this should take care of it! So we shall see if it happens again.,google the 123 recall for info. And be safe it says it can cause a crash or to roll when you think its in park!!##! Hyundai sucks!!!

http://www.law360.com/articles/620103/class-says-hyundai-must- repair-electrical-defect This might help. I've been having the same problems without a push start button, in my 2013 hyundai sonata. Been to the dealership 3 times now. Always "working fine" when they check it out. They want to keep it for a week now to put in 2 parts and "see if that fixes it". As of right now, they will not provide me with a loaner car. Going in later today to speak to a manager. According to the lawsuit, they know exactly what is going on, and have for years. I can only assume they are able to deny it because the problem is intermittent. I have taken videos countless times and shown them these videos, yet they still tell me car is working fine. I have been having this same problem for over a year, with no end or help in sight.

10

It is the inhibitor switch......intermittent starting problems fixed. Now shifts at higher RPM- have to get that checked now. I believe switch is adjustable...apparently dealer didn't test drive after replacing it!! - Hat