I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus. It has over 100,000 miles and keeps overheating. The mechanic told me I need a new valve cover gasket, but its not leaking oil its leaking antifreeze. I had the hose replaced, what else could be wrong?

Asked by Jun 25, 2014 at 05:28 PM about the 2001 Dodge Stratus SE

My dodge is leaking antifreeze and over heating every time I drive it.  The mechanic told me I have a blown valve cover gasket.  Does this sound right? He said it would cost more to fix than the car is worth.  Its does have>100,000 miles.  Any advise would be appreciated.

A blown valve cover gasket does not make a coolant leak. Timing being off or water pump can cause the engine to overheat, and cause coolant to come from overflow. Provided you checked all of your hoses, etc... Timing belt replacement and water pump should go conjunction with each other, also not a bad idea to change engine seals too while you're in there. This can be costly, it depends on the condition of the car whether it is worth it or not, at least you will no that is not an issue anymore.

Wanted to add that the valve cover gasket can cause a significant oil leak, and I would have whomever does the work to change it too. There are a few tricks to changing that without pulling everything apart. Oh and find another mechanic or mechanically inclined friend, the mechanic you talked to I wouldn't trust with a bicycle.

No the valve cover gasket will never leak coolant or water. That has to do with oil.I had that problem and it was the housing for the thermostat that was cracked and you should also change the thermostat. Make sure you check it after running the engine for a little while so that the coolant is all the way full in the radiator. It may look full but there is still air in it that will cause it to over heat again.