How should the the radiator fan & A/C fan operate when the A/C is turned on?

5

Asked by Apr 11, 2014 at 10:32 PM about the 2013 Honda Accord LX

When I have the A/C turned on the fans behind the radiator ( 2 of them ) both cycle on and off
...repeatedly.  Neither fan stays on for any length of time.  Shouldn't at least one fan stay on
when the A/C is on?  I noticed this when I was in a parking lot waiting for someone because I
kept hearing the fans turning on then off, on then off.  It doesn't matter what temp the A/C is set
at the fans just keep turning on then off.

98,395

No they should cycle like that, one fan is for engine cooling the other is for A/C. The A/C fan will start to stay on longer as the pressures rise in the high line for temperature exchange. The other will cycle as engine temps rise and fall.

The thermostat operates the ac in probably 30 second on off cycles. This is why it would be stopping and starting. Some cars have 2 fans . All cars run hotter with the ac on. You will find, a vehicle with 1 fan, will probably run all the time with the ac on, even from a cold start up.

30

My cooling fans are not coming on I turn the heater on and the AC on and they're not coming on my temperature gauge reads above halfway when I put it in park from a drive they go on sometimes both ends I don't know what to do I put new center tell you truth I don't know where all the sensors are at I've been looking under the hood and under the dash

No idea. If you have 2 fans (some only have one) the a/c fan should come on as soon as you turn the a/c and the ignition on. The cooling fan may never come on, depending how hot the engine is.

60

I have same issue I'm driving Honda Accord 2003 model. 2.4ltr 4 cylinder. I had one fan which readaitor fan bad another A fan was working properly..radiator fan was not working anymore. I tested found readitor fan motor is bad. I went junk yard I asked with guy same brand same motor . and he installed that I thought I have Done the issued clear. but when I was driving back home and about 10 min of drive I got overheat sign. AC was on. But temperature was increasing second by second. I open that hood and I notice when I on the AC both fan was running in same time and off for 2 second same time again running in same time. before I never noticed that. I thought it would be lot of pressure in engine therefore the temperature was increased when I drive with AC on but I'm still not sure. I have no idea that both fan runs together and shut together for while and again starts together .. anyone please advise me of you came up with same issue ? thanks

20

I tested the cooling fan on my 2005 Honda Accord (it has two fans)- And it was bad - changed two fan assembly (got new denso for 40$ dealer wanted 800$)- Still didn't spin so changed cooling fan relay and now works great. FYI when a/c on both run and when temp goes up both run I haven't experienced either shutting off independent of the other. i believe relay was original failure leading to premature fan failure from never shutting off which lead to higher heat which in turn affected a leak at water valve which I also replaced along with new hoses. Glad I caught it in time , heat didn't seem to go high enough or long enough to cause any thing else yet - right yet !

10

I have a 2009 Honda accord 2.4l I have 2 fans but only one comes on when a/c is on. the other does not come on or I haven't gotten to get it to come on I put direct power to it and it came on. so I have no clue whats going on also car sometimes over heats so any help on what to look for

to nonvtec: One fan is for A/C, and the other for radiator. For the radiator fan, there is a relay and a fuse. You may want to check those. You can visually check the fuse. As for the relay, I would swap the radiator relay with the A/C relay (they are the same on 2007 Accord). If the A/C fan still comes on, then it is not the relay. One last piece would be the thermostat.

10

My A/c is off and for some reason both fans come on and turn off..I'm noticing less gas mileage too???