How do I fix my passenger sliding door on a 2004 Odyssey?

80

Asked by Oct 22, 2015 at 07:35 AM about the 2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/ DVD

I can't seem to find my exact issue
anywhere. My drivers side door works fine.
Passenger side won't open with the remote
or the switch (just sounds like the actuator is
running but not catching) but opens
manually. 9/10 times when it is almost
closed it stops and opens again meaning I
have to "assist" the door closed and push on
the back. I was told the motor is bad and it's
like a $1300 fix (disabled vet so I can't afford
something like that) Thank you in advance.

50,685

Boy, that sounds like a lot of money they want to fix it. The actuator, can you hear it click, or working, not operating non stop? If so, good chance the rod inside the door just came off of the lever. Just take the inside door panel off and look...

50,685

Oh, read closer, but still take the inside door panel off and see if anything is disconnected from the motor.

80

Alright. What could account for there more or switch near the steering wheel my working. I'll try this out whenever it stops raining here.

50,685

I don't understand what you just asked, but if the switch is making the motor for the door run, it would be more likely the motor for the door. You are saying it closes only so far? So it does work some? If that is the case, that motor may be weak, or door may just need some adjusting.

80

remote and switch do not work for the passenger sliding door to open it but it works to close most of the time; sometimes it gets almost closed then opens again. Most of the time the door opens by the handle just fine, but rarely it takes a few tries to unlatch and open before sliding normally. And lastly sometimes it needs help sliding the last half and needs to be pushed on to latch; sometimes it's fine. The lack of consistency makes this really troubling and nearly impossible to explain. I hope I didn't come across on a bad way, I just don't know how else to explain it. Thank you.

50,685

No problem, it is hard on a situation like this without being there to see and pin-point a problem. All I can do is give an educated guess (ideas) on what to look for on this. I would look at the operation of the door working manually to start. Looking at hinges, slide tracks, the wheels that guide the door, all this would affect the latching of the door, Look for a reason for why the door only closes so far with out assistance. That is a heavy door and needs to be working without any hindrance. Next I would look at the motor and electrical for a problem. Of course there is a reason for this problem, just have to investigate until you find a problem & it does get frustrating at times not finding the answer right away. Hope I gave some insight on this...

50,685

Reading your original post, there seems to be a problem with that motor, if it seems to be running maybe you can get lucky and make an adjustment, just have to look at it.

80

How are those motors adjusted? Is there any chance it's something that I may be able to do?

50,685

Good morning Sir, to tell you the truth, I have not worked on a doors like yours, but have repaired may. Personally my suspicions are that the motor is worn out. Is there any way you can get at it to inspect it? By taking it out and spinning the shaft, feel if it is rough, see if there is any play in the shaft? Then I would check to see if the voltage is good at the power wire, vehicle off or running, it should check the same as the battery voltage. Vehicle running it would check around 14.5V, off should be around 12.5V. If not enough voltage running to it, the motor will not operate full strength so to speak. See what you can do.