How does water get into the air pump system? 2012 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 - been in garage since April 7th.

30

Asked by Apr 20, 2015 at 04:41 PM about the 2012 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab V6 SB

This car has been in the garage, has not been in any high water, check lights came on,
would not accelerate above 40 mph, had a lot of water in the air pump system.  The
estimate for repair is about $2,000 and the mechanics do not know how this happened.

Ok I have really been looking trying to get to the bottom of this. Are you talking about the secondary air injection pump for emission control, it's new to 2012 Tacoma.

and this? How the heck did water..opps that's what you are asking

.

.http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/tundra-sequoia-air-injection-induction-pump/

30

Yes, I believe that is it. Do you know if there has been a recall on this one? The cost is going to be about $2,000 for the Tacoma.

No recall but a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) has been issued. See these pages http://www.autosafety.org/sites/default/files/imce_staff_uploads/T-SB-0160-11.pdf

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/toyota-warranties-air-injection-pump/

I put them in separate windows to make it easy to link, No re-call but warranty extended. The "Tundra Headquarters...." site is older and not updated. Call 1-888-270-9371 and/or 1.800.331.4331 for more information

T -SB-0160-11 Re v2 October 17, 2011 Secondary Air Injection System - Water Intrusion: MIL "ON" DTC P0418, P0419, and/or P244#

30

Where is evidence that the same part is used on the 2012 Tacoma? I will call the numbers you sent. Thank you for your response.

That I don't have. Just got all that from research, hoping to help ..browsing forums, parts suppliers, car complaints sites. The truck is barely 3 years old and Toyota should stand behind it, they have a reputation to uphold. A 2012...you are past 3 years from date of sale or 36,000 miles? I think you are or they would not be talking money

I have a 2012 Tacoma FRD 4X4, had simla problem. Took it into the derler it was under warranty replace it for free. They said they have had no problrms with the Tacoma model which I think is BS,

You start your truck on a cold rainy day. The secondary air injection pump kicks in at a high rate. You start driving, that motor is not sucking clean dry air, it's sucking air with a lot of water. Now it finally shuts off and all that water has no where to go, so it sits inside the pump housing guess what. It's easy money Toyota service dept, takes 5 minuets to change out! That intake pump pipe should be connected up to the top of the intake box.

70

Just had my 2012 Tacoma go into limp mode. You guessed it, air injection pump/water. Blah blah bull $hit... $2000 in charges, dealer acted dumb when I asked them if it was a known issue. This is rediculous as I do not even have 60k miles yet... Toyota should be embarrassed for not standing by their product. I guess I'm only supposed to drive my truck when it is dry out and only park in a garage? Has anyone had any luck appealing this issue? How many times does this have to happen before a recall is issued?

30

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/code-p2442.404765/#post- 11321075

10

2012 Tacoma 43,000 miles. Exact same response from the dealer. Out of warranty. I appealed to Tayota. 3 days later, sorry not our problem. That was my last Toyota or anything to do with them. There is too much evidence that this is a faulty design.

30

Several issues, Toyota had a piece of foam on intake pump which draw road debris/water into the motor. Instead of drawing air from the air intake pendulum. Several site do sell pump replacements for about $160. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/secondary-air- injection-switching-valve.381997/page-3

60

I am having a similar problem my 2012 Toyota Tacoma cel light and TRAC off light both came on speed was reduced to 35mph definitely not as much power as it should have. Took it to pep boys and they said it was the air injection pressure sensors bank 1 and bank 2 any suggestions?!

20

My 2012 tacoma experienced the same TRAC off light and engine light on Friday. Dropped it at the dealer the same day. Roughly $650 for part (new air injection pump) for a total of $798 repair. Parts are on back order (delivery Thursday) as the warehouse reports there has been a run on replacing these parts. Starting to sound like a problem part.

As the Tacomas get older, parts will start to wear out. This is an easy fix if you're handy with a wrench. Air pumps $150 plus labor. Sugest getting by pass kit so you'll have no more future issues with it. https://www.hewitt-tech.com/store/

30

Here is another case....2012 Tacoma with the same issue. I have owned 5 Toyota trucks, a Forerunner and a Camry. If I have to pay $2,000 for this repair, I will never buy another one.

I live in Massachusetts, a Cali emissions state and I also work as a service writer in the automotive field. I pulled a few strings with the guys I know at the Toyota parts department. He read from the "dealer" warranty manual that secondary air pump systems fall into the 7 year, 70,000 mile emissions warranty. If you're not in a CA emissions state you may have to cough up the $800 to repair it. I've seen the air pumps for sale online in the $550 range for the DIYers.

30

Heard that Chevy S10 air injection pump is compatible with Toyota. Might have to swap out connections to make it work. 2000-2002 Chevrolet S10 Secondary Air Injection Pump.

35

2012 taco 96,000km just replaced secondary air intake pump at dealer. I agree that recall is in order.

20

Same thing. Check Engine Light, Trac OFF light. Dealership said Secondary Air Emissions System, can't tell what is wrong until they tear it down. Up to $2,000 to repair. My Tacoma has 56,000 miles. I agree a recall is in order. Or a class action law suit. This is ridiculous. I only drive Toyotas. That will end if they do not fix this.

20

Same thing is happening to me. 2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4X4.

20

I'm also having that problem, it started Friday after work i drove it in at 40 mph , it's Monday and they just called me and told me it was the air injection pump and valve. same here Toyota Tacoma 2012

30

my 2012 Toyota Tacoma, 71,800 miles. code P2442-P2440 secondary air injection system switching valve stuck open bank 1 and 2. Dealer blamed animal urine contamination of air pump which caused failure of air switching valve, really ??? bunch of BS ! took to another dealer who told me the Tundra had similar issues addressed with enhanced warranty. Told me to call Toyota to plead my case for coverage under warranty like the Tundra model. I called and we will see their response. The current dealer said I just need the valve assembly replaced not the pump yet.

10

We have a 2012 Tacoma, 110k on it, and it happened to us, too. $2000 cost. We were thinking of upgrading to a Tundra next time, but after reading these posts, and the frequency of this problem, we are really thinking maybe no more Toyotas.

10

I have 2012 Tacoma. Same issue only 65k miles on it. Need open law suit against Toyato

10

My 2012 Tacoma had same issue at 57k. After reading all these posts Toyota needs a recall...This is definitely an issue that needs to be resolved!!

20

My 2012 Tacoma 4x4 just had the same issue. They quoted my $2400 for the repair. After I said I would get a second opinion, the price dropped to $480.

10

2012 Tacoma 150000 kms. Pump and diverter valve. Told by Toyota that this is new to them...yet posted all over the internet. Faulty parts. Very disappointing for a Toyota. Started at $2,500 cdn at dealership, then $1,950, then $1,450...the more I bitched, the more they dropped the price. Still NOT COOL for a $40,000 truck. Probably my last Toyota.

Tacoma 2012. Same thing happen to me at 52,000 miles. Valves 1 and 2 stuck open. Cost at dealer $1,300+. Fixing myself, definitely water in the valve system (design problem) and they were stuck open. Anyone hear if there is a rebuilding kit for the valve system before I spend $450.00 on new valve set?

20

Same thing happened recently to my 2012 Tacoma. Just a heads up that my dealer charged for labor only, which was $489. This is clearly a known issue as they quoted me $2200 and then dropped it to labor only as soon as I balked at their quote. Apparently there are no after market parts for this issue and the OEM parts are a huge rip-off.

20

By the way, triggering limp mode for an emissions system failure is ridiculous as well as dangerous.

I repaired the problem by taking the valves apart and cleaned them using brake cleaner. Only took a couple of hours and they work & look like a new set.

I just experienced the same issue, CUL+TRAC OFF and limited power/accelleration. Limped in to the dealer who informed me it was P2442/P2440 codes, leaking air pump, bad air switching valves, and water intrusion. I took notes and started reading online. Glad to find this forum. I called Toyota Customer Care and they started a case for me. They are going to review my case and see what more they can do for me. Supposed to get their response within three days. If this happens to you make sure you do communicate it to Toyota and have them open a case number on it, don't just complain to the dealer. If we don't call them to complain they may not know how widespread the issue is. They did assure me that even though it isn't under warranty, if they do launch a program in the future I would be paid back at that time. One comment they made suggested that when they voluntarily cover something out of warranty, they may request customer participation--I assume that means I pay labor (approx. 3 hours). I'm optimistic this will all work out fine in the long run.

This just happened to us last week on our 2012 Tacoma with 30,000 miles on it. They quoted us a cost of 1200 to correct. Our service writer contacted Toyota to see if this can still be covered. It has been 4 days and we haven't heard anything yet. He did share that they may cover it or half the cost. This is crazy after I see so many complaints about it.