I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma single cab 4x4 automatic and it has been running like crap. It acts like it has water in the gas, but I have no clue.

Asked by Jun 02, 2014 at 06:41 AM about the 2002 Toyota Tacoma 2 Dr STD 4WD Standard Cab LB

I have been told it could have water
in the gas then I have been told it's
my evap system. When I drive it it
idles rough, and when I hit 50 mph
my whole truck starts shacking and it
acts like it doesn't want anymore
gas, I have to take my foot off the
pedal and let it go back down to 45
mph before I can push on the gas
and it not shake the whole truck

23,215

This could be caused by many things, a bad fuel filter? fuel pump? It could be electrical- why do you think there's something in the gas? how would water get in there? sometimes, once a decade- the gas station trucks will put diesel in the gas tanks underground- or some enemy of yours will throw dire in your gas tank- but I don't know why you would jump to this conclusion, unless you have some evidence- look for other causes, or just take it to a good mechanic- you should know someone like that- who won't just be guessin'

23,215

This could be caused by many things, a bad fuel filter? fuel pump? It could be electrical- why do you think there's something in the gas? how would water get in there? sometimes, once a decade- the gas station trucks will put diesel in the gas tanks underground- or some enemy of yours will throw dirt in your gas tank- but I don't know why you would jump to this conclusion, unless you have some evidence- look for other causes, or just take it to a good mechanic- you should know someone like that- who won't just be guessin'

1,645

Had the same (sounding) problem on my Toyota. I ran fuel / injector cleaner; checked alternator/battery condition, wire connections, vacuum lines for leaks; and a bunch of stuff that I can't remember, over a months time (saving me $$ - you bet-HAH). Finally gave up, took it to a good mechanic. Result? he found a water pump leak (WHAT you say?!?!) yep! the leaking coolant was running down into an electric crank sensor - which was ruined by the coolant; which caused it to "not sense" the crank(?) which caused the engine to act like it had water in the gas (bucking/stuttering and a 45-50 mph, really get cranky). This took him about 2 hours to find and another couple to replace the pump and sensor. Its the old story; " its not what you know, its knowing what to do," which is why you pay good mechanics. Truck runs like new as soon as I picked it up and ever since then (8 months ago) So don't give up but give a good mechanic a try if you can't figure it out. Good Luck

Thank you so much my truck has had this problem for the last 3 or 4 months my water pump does leak in my radiator one I'm not sure which. But I also had a problem somebody siphon fuel from my tank and when they put the hose down inside my filler hose they pulled out the vents spring and all of the evaporator mechanism that goes down into the tank so can I just replace the filler tube or is the fuel filter attached to the bottom of it