2004 neon ,,only getting spark from#2 & 3 cylinders,,1#4 are no spark,, new coil pack does the same thing

Asked by Dec 10, 2015 at 07:27 PM about the 2004 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SXT Sedan

New coil pack has only spark from # 2 & 3 cylinders, 1 & 4 are no spark from
coil pack,,,How come?    Electrical schematic anywhere??

60,385

I would say it is time for a new coil pack.

It is a brand new coil pack& the old one did the same thing~~

38,195

Have you replaced the plugs and wires as well as the coil packs? I would pull the plugs from 1 and 4 and check them for excessive fouling. That will cause them to appear to not fire. Old wires will also have the same effect.

60,385

Have you inspected the connection to the coil pack and the wires leading to it?

Not wires leading to it,,,but why only 2 cylinders???car runs on the #2 & 3 cylinders with #1 & 4 plugs out of engine ,connected to spark plug wires in my hands feeling for spark~~~

38,195

Did some digging on a Neon forum. This is what the guy had to say about his issue with only firing on half of the cylinders: Further update; used an analog ohm meter between the crank sensor wires while cranking engine and had plenty of needle movement. Crank and crank signal input into computer was verified as good. Used a 12 volt test light between 12 volt supply to ignition coil and and the trigger wires individually back to the computer. # 2 and #3 cylinder trigger wire pulse while #1 and #4 wire will not pulse while cranking. By process of elimination everything functions as required except for the computer. Replaced computer with known good part, coil fires on all 4 cylinders! Neon roadworthy again!

Best Answer

Thank you,,, Thats where I was this a.m. computer it very pricey for this roach,,, looking like junk yard! Thanks again!

60,385

You ground the outside of the plug when looking for spark. Don't hold them in your hands!