how to check the mpg???

35

Asked by Jul 02, 2008 at 10:11 AM about the 2004 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SXT Sedan

when i bought my car the sticker said its suppoe to get 28 to the gallon and when i calculate im only gettin 20 to the gallon whats the deal ? how do i check to see what the actual mpg is?

40,345

Fill tank, reset trip odometer, when you fill the tank again, calculate mileage by dividing number of miles by number of gallons of second fill-up. You may also need a tune-up or oxygen sensor.

25

what you do is when you fill up your tank reset your tripometer in your dashboard and when you fill it up ALL the way take the reseat and divide the miles by the gallons miles/gallons= mpg

35

sweet man thanks

45

also..another trick to get the best gas milege is to make sure your oil is full/good (not old), tire pressure is up, keep your air filter is clean and try to avoid slamming on the brakes and the gas.

5

also you will rarely get the stated fuel mileage on any vehicle for one simple reason, the regulations for testing. automotive companies are only restricted to testing the engine for fuel mileage in order to state and estimated EPA. this means that the fuel mileage they stated would be a peak when testing the the bare engine, eg. when they tested it it could have been with no alternator or a/c belts attached, and that extra drag alone will cause you to have a lower mpg rating when you actually drive the car, the system has been revised but not nearly perfected... here is a link that might give you some insight http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/420f06069.htm

25

did u find out how many gallons the tank holds then u take the miles u have driven on the tank and divid the two and that is how to find miliage Plus is that the Estimated mileage because they are always off

200

you are mainly driving city. this will definately affect your fuel mileage vs highway(idling subtracts fuel mileage constant speeds increase mileage also this engine likes to run at peak fuel mileage about 2500 rpm (man trans only)that would be about 65mph

200

try to keep as close to one set speed when driving I have actually driven my neon on the highway to the tune of 55 mpg actual Manual trans. staying less than 1 mph variation either way of my target on a 500 mile trip (Much better than any cruise control I've ever seen)