Urgent - How to start my 2000 Neon

5

Asked by Aug 05, 2009 at 08:39 PM about the 2000 Dodge Neon

My Neon was recently stolen and found a few days later...mostly in one piece however the thief broke off the ignition lock and was using a screwdriver or some other implement to start the car. I am being charged by the day for impound fees and don't want to pay for a tow truck...how can I start my car to drive it home?

45

if it'll start using the screwdriver drive it home .... but i suggest flat bedding home cause either way it needs to be replaced

305

Have you tried using a screwdriver in the broken ignition lock??? The technical theory method follows (use caution whenever working with electricity, if you do something incorrectly, do not blame me!): If the ignition switch is still attached (for orientation mostly) you simply have to connect the B+ wire (wire going to the switch from the battery) to the output wire of the switch on the before last setting (START being the last; you want the wire going from the switch to your primary ignition windings). As I have not worked on your model car before, nor do I have any experience with hot wiring vehicles, I cannot tell you what color the wires will be but "usually" B+ is a red wire, so carefully examine the lock. To manually activate the starter you can just connect a jumper cable from your positive battery terminal and touch (don't clamp it, because you only want it to run for a few seconds at most!) it to the positive terminal on the starter, this will cause the starter to activate and turn the engine, but it will only start if the connection through the ignition switch to your ignition system is complete, otherwise the sparkplugs won't work. [The way a thief might do it is by touching the ignition switch B+ wire to the START wire for a few seconds while simultaneously holding the RUN wire to the B+ wire so the ignition system will function.] The starter will be on top of your transmission by the side of the engine, it looks like a small canister with a red and black wire attached to it, the red wire is attached to the positive terminal and the black is the negative terminal. If nothing works out for you, I would recommend you fork up the dough to have it towed to a shop. Sorry... good luck.

5

Thanks guys...I tried the screwdriver and there was no power or anything...gonna go back tomorrow and try the wiring you suggested...I don't know if it helps at all but the ceiling light was ripped out and disconnected...any idea why someone would do that? It looked like it was just used to get across the city, so I doubt it was vandalism related considering everything else. Any ideas?

About your overhead light, I have a neon also and went to a friend's house. I had to open the driver's door to get some stuff out of the car ... it was late at night and my friend did not want to disturb anyone in the house. He said, "would you turn that damn overhead light off?" Of course if your neon is like mine, the only way to turn it off short of ripping it out is to shut the door. Maybe that has something to do with it, not wanting it to go on when the doors were opened. Theft is shady.

You could always tow it with another vehicle; however, I would not recommend this if you have never done it before and do not know anything about the procedure. One tip: the car that is being towed is the brakes, the idea being not to let the tow rope or strap become slack. If it does, creep the power vehicle forward VERY slowly until the tow strap becomes taut. (or push the vehicle being towed back to get the strap or rope tight. This might be safer) You do not want to snap the tow rope if it is slack. This could be extremely hazardous to people and vehicles alike. I learned this by the "seat of my pants," having never been a tower or towee and being thrown into the task suddenly to help a friend.