Help! 04' Dodge Neon, Why is it stalling??

10

Asked by Feb 13, 2015 at 06:57 PM about the 2004 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SE Sedan

I have an 04' Dodge Neon that will only start if I unhooked the battery and hook it back up. It will run fine(havent driven it anywhere for fear of getting stranded) with no sputtering or anything. But as soon as I turn on the ignition and restart the vehicle it will start and immediately stall. The oil light comes on but it has oil. There is no check engine light, and when hooked up to a computer it returns no codes. I replaced the ignition, and camshaft sensor, thinking of changing the crankshaft next. I have hear the fuel pump working so fuel is going to the engine. All fuses are fine... I'm at a loss, and starting to think the computer is bad. HELP!!

143,385

Sounds like a PATS (Passive Anti-Theft-System) problem. Now wait, if you mean literally replacing the crankshaft..oh, please, don't waste money on that, I am going to assume you mean crankshaft position sensor.. don't do that either.......you may be right the PCM is going bonkers. Get your PATS system checked at a shop. This is not a DIY thing

10

This may seem like a silly question but the vehicle does not have an alarm of any sort, so does it still have PATS?

143,385

Forgive me, I did not get back to you, I didn't go back over my questions yesterday. But 1) Actually PATS is really a Ford thing, with GM it's Passlock).... Dodge calls it's immobilizer chip key.. 2) The answer is yes, even without an alarm you still have a chip in your key. The would be thief can get in your car but without the chip aka transponder key they can't punch the ignition and drive away

I have this same problem this week. Will not start we tested the battery, which is in great shape and less than a year old. After we reconnected it. It started fine for about a week, now it won't start again! Mechanics could not find a problem, however I am taking it back and will post if I find out what is causing this.