My 2005 Dodge neon is overheating why

Asked by Apr 22, 2014 at 04:24 AM about the 2005 Dodge Neon

I have replaced thermostat, put
coolant in checked fan overflow is
fine radiator is fine

20,235

Miss Kelley , the neon's are known to blow head gaskets, has it been steaming at the tailpipe?

20,235

if no coolant is entering the combustion chambers, A/K/A blown head gasket I would suspect the system needs a reverse flush! I assume by overheating you mean the temp. gauge is up and spills some overflow after shutdown

1,555

a bad rad cap can cause it as well

385

burp the system it could have air in it

20,235

That's a good inexpensive start, a burp and a cap , now that I think about it

20

I had problems with my car over heating, the cooling fans went bad on my car about a year ago. You could hear the water boiling as the car ran, and almost an hour after it was shut off. If it seems to cool down as you drive, it's because air is coming through the grill to cool it down. So if it seems to overheat as your car sits at a stop light, or is parked in a parking lot etc, i would assume its the fan.

Our 2005 neon is still over heating and had it to the garage three times. It seemed okay till yesterday and it overheated again and I brought it home and talked to a neighbor who is a mechanic and told me to look at the the radiator. One side was hot and the other side was cool where you could your hand on it and the other was to hot. Here one side of the radiator is plugged. take the thermostat out pour in radiator cleaner and put everything back together without the thermostat and run it. Drain everything then put pure water in and run it for a while. Drain it again, put new thermostat in and coolant and it should be good. If it still heats up then unfortunately you will have to replace the radiator.