Dodge Grand Caravan electric-seat fuse blows periodically? Looking for wiring diagram.

90

Asked by Dec 28, 2013 at 07:54 PM about the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew

The fuse for the electric driver's seat in my 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan blows periodically for no apparent reason.  The dealer service department could not find the problem.  Has anyone had a similar problem?  How can I find a wiring diagram so that I can diagnose the problem?   Tnx!

72,485

Pay attention to the conditions when it blows. Is it hot or cold inside the cabin? Is it raining? Do you have other passengers in the van? Are you using a certain other accessory (radio, wipers, rear defogger, etc.). Most often times there is a pattern to what appears to be a random event on the surface. Think like a detective. HTH. -Jim

90

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell when it blows. The electric seat adjustment works for a while (perhaps weeks) and then we find it simply no longer works (i.e. you can't adjust the position any more). Replacing the fuse gets it to work for a while but then for some reason the fuse has blown and it needs to be replaced. I am looking for a wiring diagram so that I can see if I can figure out what the problem is.

72,485

You're welcome. You can also check the routing of the wiring harnesses under the seats. There's a lot of metal tracks that help slide the seat back and forth. Perhaps a wire is rubbing or getting pinched under there occasionally and blowing the fuse. HTH. -Jim

20

HI, I just started to have the same problem with mine... Did you find anything?

40

I have the same problem. It is my wife's car but it has blown twice after I drove it. My theory. I adjust both the backward and down lever at the same time. That requires / of the 3 motors to operate. That draws excess amps and blows the fuse. If not 2 motors I could accidentally have bumped the third motor switch (backrest) making all three work. Since I have carefully operated only one at a time no fuse has blown. Try it

90

Keith. It turns out that my problem was that a bit of insulation had gotten scraped off of the cable that supplied power to the seat motor. Periodically, and somewhat randomly, when the seat was moved, the uninsulated wire would short to the frame and blow the fuse. Re-insulating the wire and re-positioning it under the seat fixed the problem.

20

May 2013 Dodge Caravan electric seat is not working dealer doesn't know why.

72,485

Sounds like they don't like warranty work. Take it back. -Jim

10

no answer here, just trying to see if any one has answer for the seat not going forward all the way? i can't put the stow and go seat (drivers rear) because i can't get the front seat to go all the way forward. nothing is blocking the seats path.

10,920

Go to Auto-Zones site ... they have free wiring diagrams

Umans: I have the same issue with power seat fuse blowing. There are several motors that operate to re-position the seat. I wonder if you might be able to more precisely identify which wiring harness feeding which motor was the culprit. At a glance under the seat, I didn't notice any issues, but knowing where exactly (by location or motor) you found your issue would be helpful.

90

It turned out that the insulation in one of the wires in the harness to the motors was scraped away a bit and periodically when the seat was moved the conductor of that wire would short to the metal frame of the seat which then blew the fuze. Fixing the insulation fixed the problem.

40

I had the same problem and it turns out the seat was not designed for a gentleman of my..."heft" we shall say. The insulation on all 4 wires (black, orange, blue and pink/white) that lead to the forward/back switch for the drivers seat had been scraped away when my big but got in the van and flexed the plastic holding the switches and would short out when they hit the frame of the seat. Not a great design but now I know to be more careful! Carefully remove the the plastic panel holding the seat switches and check the wiring for rubbing and it might be your solution too!

Our motor actually shorted out today and caught fire in our 2011 caravan We've never had any issues before. We just bought ours used this past July. We bought the extended warranty, but they said that depending on their investigation it might not be covered....

72,485

Check with your insurance company. If you carry full coverage, fire damage is probably covered under your policy. HTH. -Jim

Thanks. I did contact them because the dealer wasn't able to provide us with a loaner.

I am having the same issue with mine...the dealer replaced it once and it worked for about a week...what should I do..I got it used and my warranty is already up...

10

Had a similar fuse issue on my 2011 Caravan. The wire from the drivers power lumbar switch was rubbing on the front pivot point. I took the plastic side off to inspect. Insulation rubbed through and blew fuse. Easy tape fix when you know where to look.

10

At least the fuse is the only thing wrong with your seat. The motor runs in mine but nothing happens trying to go up or down. Since it will go back and forth and the height is acceptable for both my wife and me, I can't see spending $1K+ to fix it.

I have the same problem in my 2014 but we have finally found that ours every time we roll down the drivers window it blows. Even though they are on two completely different circuits. I have an appointment on Monday with the dealer hope he finds the problem wile it's still under warranty!!!

The are two forty amp fuses that provide electricity the power seat. See you fuse diagrams in you manual. I am working on the problem right now. Since no wiring is exposed under the car, I agree that there is a 90% chance that my porky buttocks have caused the problem. There's a lot of wiring with connections with moving parts in confined space.. I too believe that a wire has been abraded. Thanks for the input .

Mine has done this twice in one week.. I find that the only time the fuse blows is when my wife drives. She needs the seat all of the way forward to drive. I've put another fuse in it to get the seat back into a position that I am able to drive it.. no problem, but as soon as she pulls all of the way forward it blows another fuse.. She's not that tall, but she's a cutie.. :) Are there different types of 40 amp fuses? Like different sizes of square ones?

I have a 2014 grand caravan that also keeps blowing a fuse and it affects both the driver and passenger seats. The issue is it keeps blowing the fuss even without us moving the seats. Took it to the dealership and they were not able to ID the problem thanks for all the different opinions on here I will take it back with a few suggestions.

As a couple of people have mentioned in this thread, I have seen that many people have found wires chaffing on the seat rails causing a short which will blow the fuse. you shouldn't have to pull the seat to find it but you may have to remove some of the plastic covering the wires to see that it has rubbed through. I have a 2010 grand caravan and my mother has a 2014 . Both of ours started blowing the fuse about a month ago and both seemed to blow while the seats were not being operated . Both had chaffed wires on the outside (door side) of the drivers seat. Hope this helped