So I have a question... I have a 2012 Dodge Avenger 2.4 L.... I've had it for almost 2 years now. Never a problem but my battery terminal was loose.. Kept very well maintained.. The other day I put gas in my car when it was really empty and the next day I went to leave and about a mile down the road it died and hasn't cranked since. It sounds like it is about to start but doesn't do anything but run the battery down..

10

Asked by Jun 10, 2016 at 12:30 AM about the 2012 Dodge Avenger SE

Please help.

5,465

time for a new battery....stop accepting a charge after say 5-7 years and exists in a reduced voltage situation...since the terminal became loose...the new will become loose as well....recommend new cables with the new battery...and remember the connection to the block and the one to the fender/chassis all must pull the full 40 amps ...which is why the drain but no crank...not enough amps getting through~

10

Even when jumper cables were connected to another car it still wouldn't crank.. Is that normal?

5,465

check the solid battery new connections ...your spark... and the timing...which if you broke a belt or slipped a tooth would do as your problem describes....so ya...examine the timing belt or chain cam position from tdc~

10

Mechanic said sparks are good, fuel pump is working, connections are all good and battery only dies when they try to start it back to back to back.... He thinks I may have gotten bad gas. You think that may could cause it?

1,710

When u say crank do u mean the starters not turning the engine. If the starter is turning the engine over for awhile before going dead i suspect your battery is stil good. I would charge it up. Than go rent a fuel pressure tester and c if your fuel pump is still pumping to needed pressure. Or even jus pull off gas cap, have someone turn ignition on and f if you hear fuel pump momentarily turn on to build pressure in preperation of start sequence. If pressures there than go to seeing if you have spark at plugs.

1,710

Definite possibility! Do you go to this same gas station often?

1,710

But a good mechanic could probably side step the tank and introduce seperate, clean gas to check.

10

Fuel pump is working. Spark plugs are firing. He's dead set it is the gas now. He's tested everything and yes, I do go to this gas station very frequently. But I wont anymore. We put half a tank of supreme gas and a gas treatment in to see if it will do anything..

1,710

U can spray carefully a lil start fluid down the intake and see if it starts momentarily, than carefully spray little shots of it to keeping going for a few more moments. If this happens than it is fuel related

10

start fluid?

5,465

...actually is ETHER...not real good for the engine...strips away lubrication...used only for emergencies ~ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starting_fluid but if you've jumped a tooth this will not help~ examine the timing chain tensioner for slack~

10

So he flushed all the gas out starts up but won't stay crunk now.. Not a battery issue.. Does while drivin get out flush it again and it starts right back up. Gas is crystal clear?

5,465

not quite clear what you just told me, but must say that lining up the main crank to TDC and checking the markations on the front of the camshaft(s) might just be the key to the problem...this one is told enough to have a new timing chain or belt changed out already...so what I think is that the chain jumped a tooth...and the spark does not happen when it should anymore...examine the position of the crank with respect to the markations of the camshaft(s)...there are two...yes this is a chain what have too much wear and slack....and slipped a tooth~

10

If you had bad gas do we need to maybe reset a computer?