2004 Dodge caravan, brake lights on after car started and don't go off

Asked by Apr 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM about the 2004 Dodge Caravan SXT

wifes van has a problem with the brake lights staying on. I checked switch by brake pedal with meter and the circuit closes when pedal is all the way up and opens when depressed. the emergency brake is free and not stuck. Any ideas, why the brake lights would stay on? are they tied to brake wear?

90,155

They are not tied to brake pad wear. The bulbs could be in backwards or the electricity is backfeeding from another circuit. -- Is this car set up for trailoring? Somehow power is getting on the wire.

there is an adjustment plate what contains the switch (if a reed switch is used) else a barrel you simply twist it forward and tighten the locknut~

somehow got put out of whack, either with stylish women's shoes hooking onto and pushing the plate out of adjustment, or someone with big boots brutalized or panic-stopped it, bending the mechanism slightly~

90,155

Did you check the output of the brake pedal switch or listen for the click? Make sure there are no volts heading to the rear before declaring the switch good.

your problem is the small or 3rd break light is blown just replace it and the light will work right I had the same problem and that fixed it.