steering column locked

100

Asked by Sep 18, 2013 at 07:26 AM about the 2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE

my land rover LR2 2008 model  showing message on screen (STEERING COLUMN
LOCKED), actually steering not locked but car is not starting at all, it is push button to
start,
checked battery, fuses,starter by technician but in vain,
pl advice me if u have any idea,
your help is highly appreciated and expected.

90

Did figure out what the problem was mines is doing the same right now

100

you first remove battery cables ,and fix after 5 minutes and try to start, check fuses ,there is a fuse of steering column, if its ok, then take your car to service shop. MINE BECAME OK WHEN THEY RESET THE SOFTWARE BECAUSE STEERING NOT ACTUALLY LOCKED. i am happy to help u if u need more info.

90

I took it to the dealer yesterday and they say they can't figure out what's wrong and still want to charge me 1400 dollars (which I think is crazy) but you said reset software? I will call and tell them this thanks

100

i hope this will solve your car problem, i was advised to change STEERING COLUMN MODULE,also, but my problem solved only by reset the software. STEERING COLUMN MODULE COST NOT MORE THAN 500 DOLLARS,

40

My 2010 Freelander also showed STEERING COLUMN LOCKED.... Dealer replaced battery, instrument Cluster, Central Junction box and software upgrade ... worked for two weeks and STEERING COLUMN LOCKED message came up again and car wont start.... After all these years ... can LAND ROVER not come up with a solution to the problem..??

70

Please see https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/Report/viewpdfvaf? applicationNumber=32196357&applicationHeaderId=fd87aeea-a6ed- e311-b437-005056925d65 - i hope it helps

40

I know this is an old thread, but did people have luck with your repairs? My mechanic wants to charge me nearly $3000 to fix the problem described above! He said I need a new body control module, but I have a feeling I'm being played...

50

Yesterday I was trying hard to find a solution to a similar problem because yesterday morning I was surprised to find that the key of my RR vogue 08 did not turn to start the car. I called the agent. The man told me to release the battery cable and fix it again and the key would turn normally, but for my surprise he said I had to do the same thing whenever I take the key out of its place. When I asked him about the solution, he said the only thing they would do is to replace the whole steering column for about $7700. That was shocking for me as it seemed to be very simple electric fault. After searching all the forums I could find on the web, I got prepared with some optimal solutions to tell any mechanic to try to fix my car. I had the suggestions of trying harder with the key, moving the steering wheel right and left or up and down, drilling into the steering column and adding something called WD 40(I think), and replacing the ignition lock with a BMW one. Luckily, a friend recommended me a mechanic who works only on Range Rover cars. I went to him and told him about the problem briefly, he did not ask me for any details and I did not have the chance to tell him about the precious suggestions I gathered from the web. He just fixed it in less than one hour and charged me less than $200. Unfortunately, he did not allow me even to see how the workers dismantle the dashboard. I wish I had known what exactly the mechanic had done but I decided to tell my story to make people avoid being cheated by the thieves called agents.

30

Hello . The solution is simple 1. You buy obd2 Bluetooth. And download Dr. auto obd program .waluloj via mobile then will not show you any mistakes just wipe then the engine operation will work. I have tried and succeeded. Thank you

10

I just experienced the same issue with 2008 landrover LR2. It's been fine and then out of no where I went to start it and it states steering column locked even though it's not locked. It's currently in the shop with no answers yet.

40

I ended up getting a second opinion at the dealer, who fixed the problem by replacing my steering column. I'm interested in the solutions posed by Profysor and Walid though... Would also love to hear what your mechanic comes up with @Magd0g4

30

Hello I've told you the solution ancestor Dear Sirs I experimented way Connie Auto Maintenance Technicians I will repeat way again 1 in the event of the emergence sinned and the car is not working you have to follow the following steps 1 Enter Bluetooth piece in the entrance examination, a computer near the brake pedal 2-Enter the program through the mobile program OBD car doctor freeFrom the Google Play store 3-mistakes you will not show up and if Vaft appeared clear the mistakes and Engage Engine

30

And that could have been on this site sends an explanatory video to resolve this long-standing problem in the Land Rover but my English is not good to use Google translation I am my Arab friend of Syria and thank you

10

My car was in the shop for a week and they checked everything...I got my car back a few days ago and they came up with the steering column module was the problem. We didn't have to replace it but found that it needed lubricant and oiled because it was stiff (I'm not sure what that means...maybe there is mechanisms that turns inside). So far no problems but if I do then the mechanic recommend having a new module placed and programmed. They said replacing the steering column was definitely not the answer to the problem. @ mclairem

30

Just had same issue on a 2010 LR2 ( Freelander 2 here in UK) which I solved by changing the Steering Lock Module. I have heard that you can oil them but didn't want to risk it as it is the other halves car. I got mine here http://www.lrdirect.com/LR037025-Lock-Steering-Column and changed it myself. I managed it just by removing the cowlings around the steering column. It took a bit of time, but using a long center punch I tapped the security bolts round until they were far enough out to use a pair of long nose mole grips. They are fitted with thread lock so won't wind out just with your fingers. Once you change it, the car won't start until you reset the fault. What I did was fit the new one but leave the old on at the side with the wires plugged in to that. This allows you to drive it to the dealer and minimise your labour costs. BTW the unit is actually a Volvo item!!.

damn I don't know what to do now. I purchased the new steering column lock PN LR037025 and went to have it programmed at the dealer here in Pennsylvania they were unable to program the lock. They said that the part# was only for European models and that in the US we have to replace the entire steering column. WTF is that!! Really $1100 for a $200 part. Mine is working after hitting it with the butt of a screwdriver and I'm still undecided if they were telling the truth or were just unable to program it. I think I'm going to call a couple dealers to see if this is correct.

Just to add I guess $800 for the column and $300 for labor is pretty reasonable for the job but It's the principle that I'm replacing unnecessary parts. If the horn goes will I have to replace the column again? :)

20

About a year ago my steering column showed as locked in my Freelander 2, wiggled it about, it worked so I ignored it. Happened again two weeks ago, this time no one could get it moving. Green Flag tried for two hours bless 'em. Ended up being dropped at local garage who could only replace my battery as it was now shot! Transported to Land Rover in Cambridge and they diagnosed a software fault, did that, checked it continually for two days, valeted it and hey presto all is good and only £153 down.

Hi I have the same problem with my 2010 freelander. Have been researching but nobody can pinpoint the exact problem or solution. I normally remove the battery cables and after 15 min reconnect. After the computer box reboots it starts to work again. But now the problem is more persistent and I am looking for a permanent solution. Any suggestions or solutions

Only north america land rover remove and disabled the steering column lock, that means there is no PCB in the lock. So you spend $1100 to buy an european lock is wasting money and cann't be programmed, coz there is nothing in the lock can be programmed.

10

Hi ! I’m so disatisfied with Land Rover I bought a Land Rover LR2 after one year of driving the vehicle. The message that reads out is Columbus steering lock I tried removing the battery cables sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t took it to the dealer in Mexico from Belize via tow truck way expensive the dealer started it but 3 weeks later the same dam shit. Colum steering lock . I can’t trust this vehicle it’s not road worthy it will leave me stranded in the road with me and my family exposing us to serious danger . Really I would just like to drive it in to the Caribbean Sea and Lea=e it 8n the bottom maybe the fishes would enjoy it better .

I was having the same problem with my 2010 freelander 2. Tried all the above but problem was persistent. The final straw came when it refused to start for a whole day. Eventually took it to a mechanic who replaced a small mechanism on the steering column which send a signal to the computer box. Costed about $ 900-00. Worked perfectly until recently. Now almost a year later problem is starting again. Think LR should admit that this is a common fault and should replace all as a factory fault.

30

Had the same issue.. then i saw the following post and it changed my life lol. There is a module at the base of the steering column that has a mechanism that stick in it. So after taking off the lower cover and pulling the steering as far out as i could. i tapped it with a little hammer, works all the time, sometimes you have to tap it a few times to loosen it up. This should be a recall, but sadly its not. "I gave it a good whack with the butt of a screw driver and it started working again. Anyone who has 90k miles or over it may be a good idea to keep a torx driver in your glove box. It's pretty easy to remove the column cover just two torx screws on the bottom and then pry it apart. Takes a little effort to pry apart but once it's apart you can detach the forward leather boot clips and remove the upper and lower cover. Then you'll be able to give the column lock a couple whacks to get it going again"

Thanks GuruWWQ6H! I’ve had the same problem ever since last year when it first started acting up on me. Had to get my vehicle towed 5 times because of the stupid steering column lock. At first i had brought it to the dealership and all they did was reset the system and i even had them do a diagnostic test but nothing came out. The next time it happened i was without a car for about 4 months because i couldnt afford the $2000 replacement at the time so i just left my vehicle at the dealership. When i went back to try to make a deal with them we tested my car and again for no reason at all it started so luckily i was able to leave the dealership without paying anything at all. After maybe 2 months of driving my LR2 with no problem at all it happened again so i had decided to leave it at my parents house till i could finally save up to replace the dang part. Im here to tell ya’ll that i finally got it to work by doing what GuruWWQ6H said and wack that part in the picture. I didnt really wack it but i gave it a good hard tap. After about 4 times i heard a small click sound and it finally started. All i know is my vehicle is old, 2008 LR2 with 130+ miles on it so it is pretty old. The lock mechanism in my steering column may be old and the lubrication may not be as it was so im still thinking about replacing the part. It seems best.