steering column locked

80

Asked by Sep 18, 2013 at 07:26 AM about the 2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE

my land rover LR2 2008 model  showing message on screen (STEERING COLUMN
LOCKED), actually steering not locked but car is not starting at all, it is push button to
start,
checked battery, fuses,starter by technician but in vain,
pl advice me if u have any idea,
your help is highly appreciated and expected.

40

Did figure out what the problem was mines is doing the same right now

80

you first remove battery cables ,and fix after 5 minutes and try to start, check fuses ,there is a fuse of steering column, if its ok, then take your car to service shop. MINE BECAME OK WHEN THEY RESET THE SOFTWARE BECAUSE STEERING NOT ACTUALLY LOCKED. i am happy to help u if u need more info.

40

I took it to the dealer yesterday and they say they can't figure out what's wrong and still want to charge me 1400 dollars (which I think is crazy) but you said reset software? I will call and tell them this thanks

80

i hope this will solve your car problem, i was advised to change STEERING COLUMN MODULE,also, but my problem solved only by reset the software. STEERING COLUMN MODULE COST NOT MORE THAN 500 DOLLARS,

30

My 2010 Freelander also showed STEERING COLUMN LOCKED.... Dealer replaced battery, instrument Cluster, Central Junction box and software upgrade ... worked for two weeks and STEERING COLUMN LOCKED message came up again and car wont start.... After all these years ... can LAND ROVER not come up with a solution to the problem..??

60

Please see https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/Report/viewpdfvaf? applicationNumber=32196357&applicationHeaderId=fd87aeea-a6ed- e311-b437-005056925d65 - i hope it helps

30

I know this is an old thread, but did people have luck with your repairs? My mechanic wants to charge me nearly $3000 to fix the problem described above! He said I need a new body control module, but I have a feeling I'm being played...

20

Yesterday I was trying hard to find a solution to a similar problem because yesterday morning I was surprised to find that the key of my RR vogue 08 did not turn to start the car. I called the agent. The man told me to release the battery cable and fix it again and the key would turn normally, but for my surprise he said I had to do the same thing whenever I take the key out of its place. When I asked him about the solution, he said the only thing they would do is to replace the whole steering column for about $7700. That was shocking for me as it seemed to be very simple electric fault. After searching all the forums I could find on the web, I got prepared with some optimal solutions to tell any mechanic to try to fix my car. I had the suggestions of trying harder with the key, moving the steering wheel right and left or up and down, drilling into the steering column and adding something called WD 40(I think), and replacing the ignition lock with a BMW one. Luckily, a friend recommended me a mechanic who works only on Range Rover cars. I went to him and told him about the problem briefly, he did not ask me for any details and I did not have the chance to tell him about the precious suggestions I gathered from the web. He just fixed it in less than one hour and charged me less than $200. Unfortunately, he did not allow me even to see how the workers dismantle the dashboard. I wish I had known what exactly the mechanic had done but I decided to tell my story to make people avoid being cheated by the thieves called agents.

10

Hello . The solution is simple 1. You buy obd2 Bluetooth. And download Dr. auto obd program .waluloj via mobile then will not show you any mistakes just wipe then the engine operation will work. I have tried and succeeded. Thank you

I just experienced the same issue with 2008 landrover LR2. It's been fine and then out of no where I went to start it and it states steering column locked even though it's not locked. It's currently in the shop with no answers yet.

30

I ended up getting a second opinion at the dealer, who fixed the problem by replacing my steering column. I'm interested in the solutions posed by Profysor and Walid though... Would also love to hear what your mechanic comes up with @Magd0g4

10

Hello I've told you the solution ancestor Dear Sirs I experimented way Connie Auto Maintenance Technicians I will repeat way again 1 in the event of the emergence sinned and the car is not working you have to follow the following steps 1 Enter Bluetooth piece in the entrance examination, a computer near the brake pedal 2-Enter the program through the mobile program OBD car doctor freeFrom the Google Play store 3-mistakes you will not show up and if Vaft appeared clear the mistakes and Engage Engine

10

And that could have been on this site sends an explanatory video to resolve this long-standing problem in the Land Rover but my English is not good to use Google translation I am my Arab friend of Syria and thank you

My car was in the shop for a week and they checked everything...I got my car back a few days ago and they came up with the steering column module was the problem. We didn't have to replace it but found that it needed lubricant and oiled because it was stiff (I'm not sure what that means...maybe there is mechanisms that turns inside). So far no problems but if I do then the mechanic recommend having a new module placed and programmed. They said replacing the steering column was definitely not the answer to the problem. @ mclairem

20

Just had same issue on a 2010 LR2 ( Freelander 2 here in UK) which I solved by changing the Steering Lock Module. I have heard that you can oil them but didn't want to risk it as it is the other halves car. I got mine here http://www.lrdirect.com/LR037025-Lock-Steering-Column and changed it myself. I managed it just by removing the cowlings around the steering column. It took a bit of time, but using a long center punch I tapped the security bolts round until they were far enough out to use a pair of long nose mole grips. They are fitted with thread lock so won't wind out just with your fingers. Once you change it, the car won't start until you reset the fault. What I did was fit the new one but leave the old on at the side with the wires plugged in to that. This allows you to drive it to the dealer and minimise your labour costs. BTW the unit is actually a Volvo item!!.

damn I don't know what to do now. I purchased the new steering column lock PN LR037025 and went to have it programmed at the dealer here in Pennsylvania they were unable to program the lock. They said that the part# was only for European models and that in the US we have to replace the entire steering column. WTF is that!! Really $1100 for a $200 part. Mine is working after hitting it with the butt of a screwdriver and I'm still undecided if they were telling the truth or were just unable to program it. I think I'm going to call a couple dealers to see if this is correct.

Just to add I guess $800 for the column and $300 for labor is pretty reasonable for the job but It's the principle that I'm replacing unnecessary parts. If the horn goes will I have to replace the column again? :)

10

About a year ago my steering column showed as locked in my Freelander 2, wiggled it about, it worked so I ignored it. Happened again two weeks ago, this time no one could get it moving. Green Flag tried for two hours bless 'em. Ended up being dropped at local garage who could only replace my battery as it was now shot! Transported to Land Rover in Cambridge and they diagnosed a software fault, did that, checked it continually for two days, valeted it and hey presto all is good and only £153 down.