My 2012 Elentra won't start - igintion can turn; shift gear stuck - wont' shift to park

20

Asked by Jul 04, 2016 at 04:39 AM about the 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV

Does not matter what is the model

20

2012 Elentra - in most cases is the Shift Lock Release. 1) Put the key in the ignition and turn once to park position – the dashboards lights should all lited up 2) Use a tiny screwdriver (from the glasses repair kit) , gently pry open the small clip cover for the Shift Lock release - found at the top of the Park shift gear (Park, Drive, Nuetral ,etc.) . 2) Use a piece of thin cloth or napkin to cover the tip of the the same tiny screwdriver (won't damage the inside) to go down until you touch the tip of the soft part (not the hard part). of the Shift Release – you can feel the bounce up and down when you press down and let go - then you are at the right place – it is like a wedge –in the center of the top and bottom of the metal part 3) Use the foot to step on the brake or apply the parking brake while use gentle pressure down the soft part of the shift lock release with the tiny screwdriver. 4) Use the other hand to shift the gear slowly - from park to drive to neutral , to first gear, then back to nuetral , back to park position. 5) Make sure your foot is on the brake or the hand brake is applied, , then start the car. 6) When the car started and the gear is in Park position, release the foot off the brake and /or release the hand brake parking brake . Let the car run warm up for a minute before shifting to drive or reverse to move the car. The above steps solve the "car won't start" and "won't shift" - get stuck - to Park position problem. Dealership won't suggest you to do this, but my tow truck driver tried it and it worked. I had several more experiences - both the shift gear lock up and won't shift and start ignition turned, but engine won't start. The reason the engine won't start because the shift gear didn't sense the car is Park position. It is a safety feature. Sometimes, you have to start the car in "neutral" position. Before you start the car in "neutral" position, be sure you apply the parking brake or step on the brake so the car won't move when you start the car. Similar idea to this video : (this is Nissian , but same idea) https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=c9AiTvcGHhY