Car running very rough.

Asked by Mar 27, 2011 at 12:16 PM about the 1998 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr LXi Coupe

It seems after car gets to a certain temperature it runs very rough.  I changed the valve cover gaskets after finding oil in the spark plug tubes.  Now it is running worse.  How to you diagnose a sensor "issue".  It seems, after idling for a few minutes, I can hear a "click" a sensor is being activated...then it starts to run rough.

Might need to just let the new oil run through the engine before things start running better...... Lynn edenpure heaters

Thanks, but I have been able to let the car run long enough for the new oil to circulate through engine. According to the book I have, it sounds like it could be the EGR valve...that seems to be next on my list...thanks again.

I took car for a 30 mile drive then hooked up to scan tool, no codes, 5 monitors came up incomplete..catlyst, evap, 02 sensor, 02 heater, egr...had lots of power during accleraltion but would want to die under 1500 rpm's. After it died it would be hard to start and run rough for a few minutes then idle great, but once I started to drive and come to stop it would want to cut out. I have replace IAC valve, idle contol sensor and pcv valve...

I replaced the EGR is running gteat!!

Had same problem with same car. Mine turned out to be upper and lower intake gaskets

The voltage regulator/altnator/battery.if your car is putting the right volts out then the sensors and computer ist getting it rather.I drive my 04 Sebring 2.7 alot love it. it has 190.000 on it and I take good care of day it was hot out and it was running sluggish with rough idle.and the transmission seemed like it was was pulling out from a red light in 3 later that night I went for a ride and it wasn't do it it was cool out I put the heater on now I got the head lights and heater on. it was starting to idle rough.then the cooling fan kicked on at a red it is really idleing rough and the light turned green and it was like the transmission was pulling out in 3 I shut the heater off and headlights to see how it would really started to run better then the cooling fan turned off and the problems stopped so I turned my head lights back on and it ran very good.if the altnator and voltage regulator and battiery ist giveing me the right voltage then weather is my sensors.this effects your coil packs.out put and input speed sencors.all the computers.trans solenoid pack.all of it.I changed the altnator and battery its runs like its when my cooling fan and heater is on it runs good and shifts good.and the idles good.the lower your voltage gets the less all you sencors and computers get