I started my car this morning and it is jerking really bad and i thought maybe if i put it into drive it would stop. It still jerked really bad and wouldnt go past 15mph so i took it around the block and came back. About a hour later, i started it and it didnt shake and it drove fine. What could this be?

Asked by Aug 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM about the 2002 Chrysler Sebring LX

My check engine light is on and it's been on.

210,495

It could be many different things. Since the check engine light is on, why have you continued to drive it without getting it checked? This light is on for a reason, so get your car checked out. It can be a sensor or other mechanical issue. Have the car scanned for codes so it can be diagnosed properly for repair.

Thanks Tom, i did get it checked out a month ago. The mechanic said the light is on for one or both of these reasons:, Egr valve position sensor, Evp sensor or breather tube but what i was quoted was ridiculous. What do you think?

210,495

Very well could possible be your issues. If you want to save some money, and your good with a wrench, remove the EGR and the breather tube, and I suspect they are full of black carbon inhibiting them from working correctly. Get some throttle body cleaner or carb cleaner, and spray them up good. Clean the throttle body while your at it as well. Let dry and reinstall. If you still have an issue, replace the parts yourself. If that isn't it, it will still be a lot cheaper than the mechanic.