my 02 sebring was makeing a ticking noise , like it needed oil so i checked it wasnt low the engine light came on and off and it started sputtering/stalling but just for a few swconds then it would go

Asked by Nov 19, 2015 at 02:06 PM about the 2002 Chrysler Sebring

was driving down the highway it started to spi and sputter like it was gonna die
so i pulled over and it died so i try to start it when i did it made a horrific
knocking noise so i shut it off its been a few days now i tried starting it and
couldnt get it to start i've only had the car abount 36 days its taken me almost
8 months sving up to buy a car PLEASE help whats wrong???

If it really a loud knocking sound it may have thrown a rod crankshaft. The ticking was probably the rod cap loose and about to come of, then did. Truly sorry to have to be the messenger on this, but from what you describe it's what is seems to me. What is the mileage on the car? And do you have service records for it? If it was neglected on oil changes all the more likely this is what happened.

To me, it sounds like a fuel filter, when did you last serviced the car? Also, it doesn't help that your particular car and model year did not have a great track record of repairs, see this,

sQuirrelGirlT- I'm really sorry to hear that you've only had the car for 36 days. I imagine that you purchased this from a private party? If you did purchase it from a dealer, I would definitely recommend taking it back to them. And, next time you're in the market looking for a car, please do some more research and read reviews online. Good luck.

Mark, please explain to me how a fuel filter could cause a "horrific knocking noise" I am open minded.

Well, she said it was sputtering and my interpretation of this was more like a loud pinging. You're right and by the way, I found that she posted on another question and all the other answers told her that the engine was probably shot, so, I think she's trolling for new or different answers. BOTTOM LINE, she should have never purchased a Chrysler Sebring, the worst car ever.

Bob Beaman

@ Mark1952, It is very sad that you continue to bash everyone's vehicle if it is other than a Subaru. The Sebring actually was made by Mitsubishi (Galant) and was a very good car in its day. We had a 1999 and it was nearly trouble free. Trashing this person's car is NOT helpful to the discussion. Hell if it had been a Subaru it would have been on its second or third set of head gaskets by now. An ignore feature and a thumbs down button would be very welcomed here on CarGurus. I vote 1 thumb down for Mark and his poor insulting answer.

As a point of information, please see this attachment,