Why is the electrical power draining?

Asked by Aug 29, 2014 at 11:19 AM about the 2002 Chrysler 300M STD

Car wouldn't start and would not take a jump.  Battery only 8 months old.  Took
battery down for exchange and they said battery was fine.  Bought new battery
anyway.  After putting new battery in car would not start but would take a jump.  Drove
and worked fine.  No dim lights. All electrical seemed fine, and would restart a few
times during the day.  Turned car off last night and woke up this morning to no
electrical power.  Dead.  What is wrong with my 300m?

Have you had the alternator checked?

No. At this point I cannot even get it to a place to have it checked. But last night while driving, using a/c, headlights, radio etc. there were no electrical problems. No dim lights etc. I am not an expert but it does not act like a bad alternator.

Did not say bad,but may be eating your battery,some time,s alternator,s will charge,but they will all so,demagnitize the amerture,and draw power,why they are not running.

Hi Mark. My instincts tell me you are probably right. I will put a new alternator in. The one that is in there is at least 7 years old and possibly came with the car in 2002. (I bought the car used in 2007). Thank you for your help.

Easy way to check your alternator....get a voltmeter 0 to 15 volts and with the engine turned off check the battery voltages...say 12.6 volts then start the engine and measure the voltage at the battery again...if the alternator is doing its job the voltage should be 2 to 4 volts higher. If not, it a bad alternator... If you still suspect the alternator....remove the alternator fuse overnight...also new batteries can go bad..with it fully charged disconnect one of the cables and leave it sit overnight and if its unable to crank the engine in the morning ..you've found the culprit...bad batteries does hold a charge for very long...

I have a Chrysler 2003 and I just took it to the mechanic at a Lithia Chrysler dealer in my state and was told that my BCM unit in the car is gone and that's what's draining the power out of my car and they said once that goes because they don't make that part anymore and it's not available and you cannot put a used one from another vehicle on there because it's basically the brain of the car when the car is manufactured that's what decides to run all the components in the car that my car is dead and it's unsafe to drive because it could die at any time so keep that in mind so basically my car is dead