HELP! Mayday! Mayday! Damsel in distress! Tail lights and dash lights went out simultaneously on Ford Explorer 2000. Brake lights still work. Fuses fine.

Asked by Jun 13, 2014 at 12:02 AM about the 2000 Ford Explorer XL 4WD

So I just bought a Ford Explorer and all was working fine. I then bought a 62 hippie-
fabulous camping trailer a day later. After connecting my hippie trailer up to the electrical
with the connector thingy on the back of my Explorer. So we are driving home from Pluto
where my canned spam trailer was located and I notice MY TAIL LIGHTS AND DASH
LIGHTS ARE NOT WORKING. Is this a fluke? Did I mess something up by connecting
my love shack to it?  All of the fuses are fine. The brake lights still work, so I know it's
not a bulb. The theft, o/d on/off and turn signal indicator lights still work on the dash but
nothing else. Speedometer and all of that other stuff. I hesitate to take it to a mechanic
because I feel like they see a chick coming and just tell me all this crap is wrong when
really it's a simple fix. I want to spend my money pimping out my new hippie love shack
rather than being overcharged by a mechanic. ANY info at all would be greatly
appreciated. How much should this cost to fix if taken to a mechanic?

Sure sounds like a blown fuse. I would double check all fuses with a multi-meter.

Possibly # 11 (15amp) or # 12 (30amp) fuses in under hood fuse box.

Or # 30 (15amp) in passenger compartment fuse panel left side of dash by drivers door.

Dash light and tail lights are a separate circuits but use the headlight switch as a common contact point. Do you have park lights or marker lights? Have you checked the main fuses under the hood in the power distribution box? Did you use a test light to check the fuses? Some times a fuse can look good but actually be blown. this may seem dumb, but make sure the dash lights are on and not just turned down with the illumination dimmer, seen it happen a lot. Yes electrical can get expensive very fast, most shops charge straight time on electrical cause there is no flat rate on tracing down circuit problems. So if a shops hourly rate is 60 bucks an hour and it took the tech 2 hours to find and fix it then you get charged 120 bucks labor plus supplies.

On my 2002 Escape, it was the fuse labeled TNS. It's a 15amp fuse.

I've checked all the fuses they are good replace the switch it's and it still I have no dash lights no tail lights but I have headlights and brake lights and interior dome light works

Checked all the fuses replace the bulbs and the switch still have headlights dome light and brake lights

James try opening a new thread this one is over 2 years old. Give year make and model.

My 1999 Ford Explorer headlights, windows,interior lights,running board,dash lights,all don't work. Everytime I try to put a fuse in, it blows. A motor on the door keeps running and my locks on all the doors keep locking. Why?