I have a 1997 Ford Explorer and the tail lights stopped working but the brake lights still work, could both brake light filaments burn out at the same time?

5

Asked by Mar 16, 2014 at 10:09 PM about the 1997 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT SUV

I don't think it is a fuse because the brake lights still work, also when I turn on just the
parking lights the head lights shine too

1,320

Could be or tail lights wires interrupted or damaged. Maybe have internal contacts in light fixtures

22,790

You have to have a multi meter set on 12 volts and a wiring diagram to trace connections. Obtain a repair manual with an electrical diagram and begin tracing connections.

1,320

Yes! Or use a 12volt light tester. Check power to tail light wire and then check ground to that light if all checks out then its a burnt contact within light fixture.

60

I have this exact problem right now! Mayday! Mayday! I'm a damsel in distress! I have no idea what all of this 12volt tester jibberish is about. If I take it to a mechanic, is he going to charge me a million dollars because I have no idea what I'm doing? Help!

60

Let me follow that up... so the dash lights are not working. Neither are the back tail lights. All of the fuses are fine. The lights still work when I brake, so I know bulbs aren't out. This happened to happen the day I hooked my new hippie-fabulous trailer into it. The trailer lights are not working properly either, but they are working. As in, you signal left and both blinkers go on, on the 62 can-of- spam trailer. Is there a chance that hooking it into the trailer messed something up? Again - fuses are all fine. But I've unhooked the trailer and the problem still exists. No dash lights (except for blinker indication, theft and o/d on/off) Speedometer and all of that is out. I worry I will take it to a mechanic and they will overcharge me because I'm a chick that knows nothing about this. HELP!

20

Oh, I have no clue what any of this is saying except, I too am having the same problem. Dash lights don't work, but brake lights and brights, and turn signal and hazards all work. What is going on and how, in dummy language do I fix this?

20

Should mentioned I replaced all fuses that needed replacing because I couldn't pinpoint which it might be, also replaced all lights....no go.

22,790

Jacq. If you know little to nothing about electricity and electric circuitry, and cannot read the appropriate electrical diagram associated with your vehicle, it would be best to search out someone who does/can. Maybe one of your friends has a knowledgeable husband.

I too have the same issue except I never hooked up a trailer just no dash lights no tail lights and break lights work fine HELP!!!!

1,320

Sorry I did not see messages until just now. But I can tell you this..There is a fuse for dash lights and also one for brake lights. There more than like Jenna your trailer had a short and the moment you plugged in that light cord that short travelled to your truck. Blew your fuse. Now there is a fuse block inside on driver side kick panel and one in the engine compartment. If you both contact me directly I can walk you through it step by step.