Need help might be getting BMW!

55

Asked by Sep 01, 2012 at 06:54 PM about the 2006 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Convertible

I need help I was looking at a 2006 BMW 330ci convertible and I was wondering if this a good car has any one ever
had trouble with this car before I really want a BMW and I love convertibles and this would be a dream come true if I
could get this!!!! I'll be probably 21 yrs old when I get it  I really like this car! Is this a safe move?

4,655

The e46 330ci is a great car and last for a long time. But you need to have it checked out by some one who knows BMW's. Some of the main issues with this vehicle is front control arm bushings, rear coil springs breaking, oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, evaporators leak. Hope this helps if you have any other questions just ask.

55

So basically if my mechanic says its all good then it would be a safe move?

4,655

I have an e46 now an love it as my daily driver and I enjoy it a lot. Now the maintance does cost more then your average car but if you do a lot of it your self it wont cost that much. But yes if you mechanic says there is no problem then it would be a great car for you. Also make sure the top works and isn't damaged or ripped thats the most expensive thing to repair if there is an issue. Good luck hope this helps.

55

Thank you and one more thing, I have herd the convertibles eventually te windows pop out of the groove of the top and can pop out! This is scary and expensive and also I have a 2011 Volkswagen bug limited edition convertible I bought brand new and the top goes down but some time you have to play with it it will go all the way down but it won't allways latch and register on the dash light that it's down so this bell wields go off so you have to raise it and put it back down and hold the button down and it makes this irritating clicking noise and this most the time it will go down all the way but it sounds like you are breaking the motor I was just wondering is this normal for most convertible tops and I am assuming I can take it out in the rain and if I get caught in a bad storm (just raining really hard) would that be ok? Because somebody told me to never take me volkswagon convertible through a car wash I dont think I ever would that just doesn't seem right so I'm guessing you would wash it with a water hose at home is that ok and would it be ok if the top got wet or should I completely avoid getting it wet at all? And one more thing would it better for the top if I put it down once a week so everything will work properly? I'm sorry that's a lot of questions I just want to know if I'm the right kinda person for a convertible thank you soo much :D I appreciate it :)

3,315

Using the top is a good way to keep the joints lubricated and from drying out, especially in colder climates. The top IS MEANT TO GET WET. The thing about mechanical car washes and convertible tops is that traditionally, they beat up the nylon stitched seams and tend to wear them out prematurely. Hand washing is ALWAYS better for you finish, provided you are using the 2-3 bucket method.

4,655

I agree the top should always be used in order for it to work properly. Also agree that it is meant for it to get wet, the reason they tell you not to go through a car wash is because most car washes use high pressure water and that can damage the window seals on the top causing them to leak. Always best to hand wash any vehicle. I can't tell you weather or not you should get a convertiable or not but I can tell you in my opinion I dont care for them much, I belive they take away from the driving experience of a BMW. My suggestion is to test drive one convertiable and one coupe or sedan to see the difference in handling. As for top issues in the BMW only ones that I really see are sensor and wiring harness issues, and of course now that they are getting older the interior cover of the top needs to be replaced. Hope this helps in you decision.

Best Answer Mark helpful
55

Thank you I will probably get a 330ci or a 325ci and if I get a sedan I will get a 328i I don't want a coupe because there to small and I'm stuck with that now and I don't like it I'm 6'3 and drive a volkswagon beetle and I want room for friends but if I get a convertible forget about hauling friends I'm gonna go have some damn fun! Lol thank you for your help!

175

I had a 2002 330 and loved it...have it checked well and buy it..is a great car

100

IF YOU TAKE THE SERIAL NUMBER TO A BMW DEALER, YOU CAN OBTAIN THE ENTIRE SERVICE HISTORY, IF DONE AT BMW, AS USUALLY IS THE CASE. THIS WILL TELL YOU IF THE VEHICLE IS DUE FOR SERVICE. I HAVE DEALT WITH MANY BMW DEALERS ACROSS THE NATION & HAVE ALWAYS GOTTEN GREAT SERVICE

55

I'm not Planning on dealing with the dealer at all I'm gonna take it to my eroupian auto shop for service because it's cheaper

3,315

Amen. In most cases, going to dealer is like asking to be monetarily raped. Support small business, especially those that have invested in a BMW code pad.

55

BMW code pad???

I have a 2005 BMW 330ci convertible and I love it. They're a great car and fun to drive. Been thinking about selling it and getting another one,if interested let me know

Don't do it unless you have lots of money or lots of time to work on it and research what is wrong. 3rd BMW. Done. All have been a pain in the Ass. Top problems, window problems, paint problems. Current one is a325 ci and the top won't close. Once I get it fixed, it is SO out of here. Would rather have a Hundai.