2004 Sebring Coupe 3.0 losing water and new issues.

Asked by Mar 21, 2017 at 12:41 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Sebring Limited Platinum Coupe

I changed the water pump inlet pipe. What a mission this was. Didn't resolve the issue. Water still comes from the WP side of the car through the channel and towards the top of the tranny. I'm thinking that it could be either the water pump or the rear housing. Going to change the water pump today. Car started after the water pipe repair, but now tuns rough. Stalls when put into gear. When I went to restart of repairs it wouldn't start. Spray starter fluid in the air intake and got a backfire. I think it may have blown the MAF sensor. (not sure) I took of the distributor and rotated 180 (i think it moved while i had it off and i put arrow facing away from my mark.) the car started right up, but idle was off. Had one loose vacuum hose undone behind the top of the exhaust which made it better once connected. However, it still stalls when in gear or at a stop sign., Haven't gone further than around the block. Any suggestions about the new issue? I used my friend's code reader and have a code of P0102

75,615

P0102 CHRYSLER - Mass Air Flow Circuit...Possible causes; Faulty mass air flow sensor, Intake air leaks, Dirty mass air flow sensor, Dirty mass air filter, Mass air flow sensor harness is open or shorted, Mass air flow sensor circuit poor electrical connection...Before replacing the mass air flow sensor, try replacing the air filter and cleaning the air flow sensor with low compress air or mass air flow sensor cleaner. Reset code and drive vehicle. If the code comes back, it may be necessary to replaced the mass air flow sensor.

Thank you for your answer. When the car back-fired it fried that little screen that is at the end of the intake hose before the sensor. Is this going to be an issue? Thanks again.

75,615

Yes it would. There kind of spendy. Thats all part of the Mass Air Flow Sensor, that normally you just clean, and is separate from the sensor itself I believe. Here is a reasonable sight, just scroll down to the one you need to compare to the parts store price. Add another $20 for shipping if you use these guys... https://www.carid.com/2004-chrysler-sebring-air-intake-parts/a1-cardone-mass-air-flow-sensor-35558365.html

That is pricey, Would I be able to run temporarily by unplugging the sensor? (for about a week or so)

75,615

You may or may not. Most vehicles will not run right without it. I kind of doubt it. It needs the MAF plugged in anyway, just try it. Certainly will throw a code.

Thanks for responding. I unplugged the sensor and didn't have the idling problems, ran like crap though when I went around the block. Came back and plugged it in and it stalled. No a cheap part. That's why I'm trying to narrow down. Make matters worse. ...just got laid off. ..lol

75,615

Ain't that the way it goes. I've ben off for 3 years. You could try just cleaning up what is left of the MAF sensor, but have to use a MAF spray cleaner to do it. May get lucky.

Thanks. Going to give it a shot. Never even heard of it

I should mention that the little screen s toast and flew out like a musket dot

75,615

Like I said, may get lucky to be able to drive the car or not until you get a new MAF.