driver's side brake light went out.. and i replaced the bulb and that didn't work.. what's the next step?

10

Asked by Sep 22, 2015 at 08:32 AM about the 2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5

brake light went out and i replaced it. it worked for less than 24 hours. what would be the next thing to replace? the socket that the bulb goes in?

85,515

If it looks bad, try moving the bulb around to make a better connection,

10

I did that. i also replaced the bulb with another new one and it still doesn't work. all the rest of the lights are working so i'm assuming the socket is not connecting correctly ??? it doesn't have any corrosion on it though. i'm no expert at all but i do see all the wires feed off the turn signal. it's a 2011 toyota 4runner sr5.

85,515

With out guessing around here, to be sure is if you had a test light to see if there is power there on the power wire and in the socket. 2011 really is not that old, look for a bad ground wire in that area. Question is if you want to buy a tester, (there cheap) or buy a new socket. With a tester you can trace the problem further up stream if need be..

10

I have the exact same model with the exact same problem. Everything on the light assembly works, except the brake light filament. The running light is the other filament and works fine, so power is not the question, it's got power to it. I've tried everything else starting with replacing dual filament bulb, taking the assembly out and sanding the contact points, spraying with electrical cleaner......nothing. I'm really getting tired of getting bogus advice as well and going out of my mind trying to fix this. Any help with real world experience with this would be greatful. I do not know if replacing the brake switch would help under the brake pedal because that seems it would impact both left and right.

Ron you ever figure it out? I have the same exact issue you described. It’s only on one side. Running light on but brake light not working.

I don't have an answer...but I DO have the same problem. I'm going to start with replacing the bulb base but I, too, doubt that's the issue. I will also replace the fuse. My inside rear door lights didn't work when I first got my 2011 4Runner. Dealership got them working and that lasted all of about a month...they've never worked since. I'd say there's some faulty wiring in these versions. I think I'll see if there's a clearing house that lists vehicle defects by year/model...

I have the same issue on my 2010 4Runner. Any suggestions on how to solve the issue would be appreciated.

20

Same issue. I pulled the stop light fuse in the engine compartment, checked it, appeared to be fine, put it back, checked the brake lights again, bingo! the brake lights worked. I assume there was a connection issue at the fuse....

30

Same issue on our 2010, if you pull the lens assemble, take notice where the blue wire terminal meets the plug, blue is the brake light wire. The top bulb is powered from the bottom bulb, my problem was a slightly corroded connection on the bottom bulb socket. A test light and someone to depress the brake pedal greatly helps! I cleaned the terminal (scratched with tip of test light) and applied some dialectic grease using a Q-tip. Tested and reassembled, good to go. I'm now doing the passenger side to prevent a future issue

Just had the same problem. Removed bottom socket them reinsert it. Brake light came on immediately.

I ended up switching the bottom socket from driver’s side to passenger and the break light worked for about 3-4 weeks. It’s out again. I’m going to buy a new socket and see if that works.

i have the same problem with my 2011 4 runner. i took to the dealership and was told it is the circuit board on the brake light and suggested to replace the whole brake light assembly. We already changed the bulb and the socket but it worked for a few days then out again. So hopefully changing the whole assembly this time will work

Let us know the cost of changing the assembly if you don’t mind. I’m going to try a couple of the other tips above and see if they get me anywhere. I have to drive over an hour to get to a dealership.

10

I also have a 2011 4runner with the driver side brake light not working. As Guru above answered, when you open the panel in the back pull the bottom light that has wires attached to it " take notice where the blue wire terminal meets the plug, blue is the brake light wire. The top bulb is powered from the bottom bulb, my problem was a slightly corroded connection on the bottom bulb socket" I cleaned it, replaced it back in socket and all is well

is this the same for 2012?