I'am working on a 1996 Cadillac Seville v8 4.6l and the battery keeps going bad

Asked by Aug 03, 2013 at 12:42 AM about the 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

I have replaced the alternator and the battery about two weeks ago. I don't understand why
the electronic instrument panel doesn't light and show that the alternator or battery is
going bad. The owner of the of the car said it was running fine until they installed a new
radio one month ago and ever since it started to give them problems. The car is equip with
power everything all the bell and whistle onstar, a factory phone sun roof.

yes this one has the inconvenient under seat battery location...but still has a black 1/0 cable that needs to connect to the chassis/ground...most people do not realize that this connection will "weld" itself in place with every single use of the startermotor...what this ends up doing is creating a layer of corrosion...insure this corrosion is removed by unbolting this connection from the meaty 1/0 cable to the ground location on your fender/frame/unibody arrangement...this connection is crucial because not only does it have to supply 300 firey amps to the startermotor also the delicate instrument panel and the ECU (brain of the system)....yes bust out the coarse wirebrush...find the end of the cable and clean that one with your wirebrush...bolt it back together and take a look at the 1/0 cable that goes to the motor as well (near the alternator)~....clean 'em up, bolt 'em back and it's off to the races~