Why won't my 2000 seville sls turn over, I've installed a new starter and a new battery.

50

Asked by Dec 29, 2014 at 01:30 PM about the 2000 Cadillac Seville SLS

My 2000 Seville was sitting up for about a year because the car wouldn't start.  On Sat (12/27/08) I installed a new starter, but that didn't resolve the issue.  On Sun (12/28/14) I installed a new battery, and the car still will not turn over.  Please help.

70,925

These engines are notorious for blowing head gaskets. If the engine is behaving like it's locked I suspect that one or more of the cylinders has coolant in it. If this is the case and the engine's had coolant in the cylinder(s) for the past year. It's done. The pistons are rusted and seized. HTH. -Jim

50

Yes this is true about the head gaskets blowing but this is not the issue in this case. The car wasn't starting last year and that's why I purchased a new starter. I couldn't afford to have a mechanic work on it last year. As you know, the starter on this car is located under the exhaust manifold and I needed a mechanic to change the starter. Please try another solution.

405

Well u can try this take all the plugs out squirt oil into the cylinders let it sit for 24hours then try crank the engine by hand

50

Good morning, I took the car to the dealership yesterday at about 11:00 and they started working on it at about 3:30. They kept it overnight and I'm waiting on them to call me with a diagnosis of the car. It seems like they couldn't resolve the issue as well. It is now 8:22 AM and I haven't heard anything from them.

405

Didn't you say that a mechanic put the starter in what was his answer

405

Well good luck with this

50

Just got off of the phone with a Cadillac rep from the Cadillac repair shop. He stated that the problem is the ECM (Electronic Control Module) will have to be replaced. He went on to say that it was a computer unit that instructed the car to start or not. He also stated that the part would cost about $1,200.00 and to install it at the shop would be about $800.00 dollars. But I thought that the ECM was a fuse, I could be mistaken so I'll research the issue. I'll let you know once I get the car back home. Oh, I'm not going for the suggested repair.

405

I had a problem with my 92 Seville thought it was EMC got a price of 600 plus install just remember dealer's prices r double. My car was internal broken valve spring on 7th cylinder

50

Yes that's true. I've seen the part (EMC) on Google for under $300.00.

50

Good morning. Yesterday, my mechanic and I hit the junk yard and pulled 3 EMC units (the same kind that was installed in my car). Once back home installed the EMC units one at a time and the same result, the car would not start or turn over. Next step: Went to AutoZone and picked up a push button device to be used to start the car and electrical cable ( cost: under 20 bucks). Oh, here's another step to try when you want to bypass the GM VATS security: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKfn7J9CeZM Only reason why I didn't take that route was because my chip is not on the outside of my key, it's hidden within the plastic under the Cadillac emblem. Ran a test last night: Connected a wire to the starter and to the push button knock off switch, turned the key to the on position and hit the switch. The car started but it didn't stay on. But she did crank, which was a sound that I haven't heard since last year. Any ideas on getting around this security feature so that my car will stay on? Hope to hear from you soon.

405

Well as far as security system no my son and his wife had problems with the security system on her saab had a friend of mine look at it all he does is electric on cars he couldn't find the problem. Try to bypass the system the whole car locked up. Ended up junking the car

70,925

If the problem is with the key why not program it to the car. It's not a VATS system, BTW, it's a Passkey system. Talk to your local Cadillac dealer for the programming procedure. You'll have to show proof of ownership so take your driver's license and vehicle registration with you. HTH. -Jim

60

I just in installed a starter on my 1999 Cadillac Seville STS butt I turn the switch and I keep hearing a click sound I thought it was the wrong starter took it back they said starting with ok and it was good installed it again and made the same quick sound I check the starter relay it was good what could be the reason that it is not turning over