Tuneup

20

Asked by Dec 24, 2015 at 03:49 PM about the 1996 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan

I just bought a 20 year old Deville with 130000 miles on it, and my mechanic did
a tune up without replacing the plug coils (or whatever they are called). He did
the plugs, wires, engine air filter and gas filter, Shouldn't he have dome the coils
as well? The gas filter looked like it was in there for 20 years, so I am sure the
previous owner didn't do much as far as maintenance. Thanks in advance.

20

There is no way to corect a typo here once you post your question...clearly I mean to say "done" the coils, not "dome". Sorry for the typo.

Actually if you want to go to the trouble to correct typos, copy your post then delete it. Paste it back and correct typos then re-post. But we can read through typos, it happens all the time. But that being covered, if the coils are good there is no need to replace them unless you specifically tell the mechanic that you want them replaced. It's just more cost. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Merry Christmas

20

So how do i know if they are good, the car is 20 years old. What is the scehduled interval for replacement? Thank you.

70,255

There is no scheduled replacement interval for the coil packs. They're not replaced with a tune up. These engines only need tune ups every 100,000 miles. My '03 S-10 Pick Up has 287,000 miles on the original coil packs. However, once one fails it's best, in my opinion to replace all 4. If one goes, the others are soon to follow. On another topic, I hate to rain on your parade, but do you know if the head gaskets have been done? All Northstar engines blow head gaskets. At 130,000 miles you're on borrowed time. When the head gaskets blow it's a $3500+ repair! For starters the engine and transmission must be removed from the bottom of the car. You can't just remove the heads from the top. HTH. -Jim

70,255

If a coil pack fails you'll get a misfire that will trigger the check engine light. HTH. -Jim