cost to rebuild or replace engine

20

Asked by Nov 04, 2016 at 03:59 PM about the 1968 Cadillac DeVille

How much to rebuild or replace engine on my 1968  Coupe DeVille convertible. My mechanic says could be  a rod bearing or even a main bearing. Says cost may be $3,000. to $5,000 or more. Is this correct? It  does not need carburetor, manifolds or other parts. What would be the most cost effective way to go

241,705

That is the current rate to remove and replace a remanufactured or rebuilt engine. They come as a long block, no exhaust and intake, etc. You swap the parts over from the current vehicle. Do you really like your Caddy? Up to you if you want to repair it.

65,095

A full rebuild involves boring the engine, turning the crank, fully rebuilding the heads including new valves, seats, valve springs and valve guides. New oil pump, new pistons etc, etc. A quality full rebuild would easily cost $5,000 for just the engine plus installation. You have to decide if it is a keeper or not. If it is a keeper then it is worth doing the job right. The cost of rebuilding the engine is why crate engines are so popular. If it were my car I would rebuild the original engine as the car is more valuable that way.

65,095

A nice 68 Caddy convertible is worth around $20,000 and up. In my opinion it is worth doing the job right. In the end you will be glad you did because the car will run like new.