Dead battery after car sits more than 8 hours

Asked by Nov 07, 2016 at 03:57 PM about the 2000 Cadillac DeVille Base

Replaced Alternator, Battery and Alternator grounding cable. After new items were installed, took car to Auto Zone and re-tested Alternator and Battery, both tested well. The voltage while car is running stays at 14.4 volts. Checked at night to see if any lights or electrical items are running, nothing noticed. Re-checked the grounding cables for the battery and Alternator, nothing abnormal.
Is it possible even though the alternator checks out that it isn't the correct one for this year car.
Note: The Alternator was a cheap replacement that I found at Rock Auto: PURE ENERGY 15476 Remanufactured; Reman; 140 amp $104.99

4,325

Doubtful if it is the alternator since you are reading 14.4V when running. More likely it is something hard to see that is draining your battery when at rest. It is not necessarily a light, just an electrical module that is incorrectly working or shorted to ground. The best way to find it is to hook up an Amp meter between the hot pst of the battery and the end of the positive battery cable (after removing the cable from the battery). You should see a small but positive current flow on the meter. Then have someone pull each fuse from the fuse panel until it shuts off, This will tell you what circuit to investigate. Then you need to begin examining the wires and devices on that circuit to find the defective part. Good luck.

Thank you Taver91, that gives me a starting place. Will update if I fine anything out.

Update, It was a bad car battery (even though it was brand new) crazy readings on the voltmeter, pulled every fuse at least twice. With the new battery, all is back to normal.