Why does my starter sound weak and my battery goes dead?

10

Asked by Sep 15, 2014 at 09:50 AM about the 1999 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan

I have put a new batter, starter, and alternator on my car, I have had it check by
numerous ASE professionals.  With a fully charged battery, it sounds close to normal.  
But after a few days it sounds like the starter is dragging.   After a few more days it
certainly is turning the engine over slower than normal. Then it won't start at all.  I
charge the battery externally, and good to go for a few weeks.  I have had it checked
out for installation, alternator output, charging capacity, batery dray down test.  But no
one can find the answer.  Do you have any ideas?.

215

If you have done all those tests and no answer yet. I will advise to disconnect the batterie at night time for a few days and if the car starts fine after a few days after connecting the batterie in the morning you have something sucking the juice from the batterie,now the tricky part its to find whats causing the problem. But remember allot times the batteries even having the NEW tag name sometimes they are in storage for along time and they dont keep the charge as good.

10

Been there done that also. I know I have a draw down, but why does it not charge back up after driving it? I didn't just try one thing once, I have put two starters, two alternators, and 4 batteries, I am a mechanic. But this has me stumped. Any other suggestions???

62,275

You have to find what is drawing the power,as saomi,said,this will be the only fix to your problem,with engine off,check the power draw on,the battery,then you will have to track it down,there is something still drawing power,and could be your igntion it,self.

10

I put a starter in my car a alternator and battery in my 2000 Cadillac dts and still want start