i have a BMW 320i E90 and i think i have a problem with the indicator light of "Engine Oil Pressure too low" LIGHT

20

Asked by May 25, 2013 at 08:07 PM about the 2007 BMW 3 Series 320i

When i start my BMW 320i its looks perfectly fine ,  used it for like 30 mins - 1 hour a
day , but whenever i turn off the engine and remove the Key to the ignition lock , the "
Engine Oil Pressure Too Low" indicator light shows up on the 2nd Indicator panel
where you will see the mileage , km status m gears used.  I just need help on what to
do in this situation , should i take this on a BMW already?  because this warning oil
light only shows up whenever i turn off the engine, but sometimes it doesnt show up at
all. so sometimes it shows up when i turned off the engine after i used my car but
sometimes it doesnt , so im confused whether im gonna take it to a service shop or not
. need your opinion guys thank you so much! you can e mail me at
mephisto121989@yahoo.com for feedback much appreciated!

58,935

Sounds like a short in the ignition switch. Any other lights or indicators stay on after the car is shut off? I'd recommend taking it to your local BMW dealer or a shop that specializes in imports. Don't take it to just any garage. BMWs are complex vehicles. Especially the electrical systems. My Nephew found that out the hard way with his '98 528i. HTH. -Jim

4,805

First of all is it the amber warning light or the red one and did you check your oil level recently? Amber would mean you may have too low an oil level in the engine sump which occasionally triggers the low oil warning when you turn off the engine. If it's the red light I would take it to a dealer or independent specialist, because that is not supposed to be on unless the key is in position II.

20

Thank you for all the answers last time i saw i think it was amber but when i saw it again I'll post a screen shot here ! thank you so much guys!. I'll definitely take it to a BMW repair shop thanks!. I just used the car earlier but the warning light did not show up today but i'll definitely post it once the warning light shows up again . But i will take it to a BMW repair shop on saturday anyway so thank you again for all the feedback!

20

And sorry yes i forgot to mention , when i checked the OIL LEVEL it says "OK"

4,805

Check the oil level manually: engine cold, car on a horizontal surface pull out the dipstick, clean it (preferably with paper towel), reinsert it all the way , pull it out and see if the oil level is between the high and low mark on the dipstick. If it is below or very near the low mark add about a pint of oil of the correct sort and weight, give it about a minute to flow down and check again.

Kris, or anyone..I'm having the exact same problem. Do you identify the root cause of this? Please help.