Need help with BMW

55

Asked by Aug 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM about the 2011 BMW 5 Series 528i

So I'm looking into getting a 2011 BMW 528i and I was just wondering if they are reliable?

3,335

It comes down to maintenance. For a 2011, as long as it was actually taken to the dealer and the recall work has been performed, there is not a real problem with owning one outside of depreciation and labor rates outside of warranty.

55

So what if it was out of warranty? Do you have to take BMW's to the deler to get a oil change? If so do you know a rough estimate?  I'll probably Allways keep money set a side for extra things on it cuz I know that's the price you pay when you have a forgin car I drive a 2003 volkswagon beetle now and it's nice and all but it's a 4cyl and I would like somthing a little more peppy lol and my car doesn't get out of a situation fast enough wich can be good and bad in some situations but I live in a big city where I'm constantly on the freeway and I will probably take a BMW through the rest of collage I'll probably be closer to 21 yrs old when I get it that's not long from now and I was just wondering if I would go wrong if I get a BMW 5-series or possibly a Mercedes e-class or c-class? 

55

And also I know European auto shops that could work on it Would that be cheeper than the actual dealer?

3,335

Just about anything is quicker than a Beetle. The expense and upkeep of a Bimmer is influenced by you ability to turn wrenches, change you own oil, and procure parts at wholesale and list pricing rather than being ripped off by the dealership. I grew up driving 80's-90's E30 3-ers. Fun and cheap to fix. The five series has long been more expensive than there 3 series counter-parts, largely due to more technology being packed in them. As far as the Merc, steer clear! They are beauties but are engineered with triple redundancy in mind. So, instead of chasing down one problem one place, it could be occurring two other locations. I have know many an engineer who would push a Porsche rather than drive a Merc. You might keep Mini in mind. Besides plenty of Bimmers, everyone has a Mini for bombing around and saving fuel. The modern turbos are the same as the BMW variety which are twin screw, making boost at low and top end revs. Drive one. You will be hooked!

55

So if I was to get a BMW it would be easier and cheaper on my end to get a 3- series? And to learn how to change the oil myself?  And is a BMW 3-series a good car as far as a collage student goes? I've Allways wanted a Mercedes and my mom got one the yr I turned 15 so when I got my permitt I learned how to drive that and I know they are big in safety and all and I know they have good crash ratings and everything but unfortinatly I do know the cost to keep one running especially in the Mercedes house so maby I should stay away from Mercedes for now or would it be easier if I did get a Mercedes to learn how to change the oil on that myself ect... Or find someplace else that can work on it other than the Mercedes house?

55

Like would it be a better/safer move to get a 2011 BMW 328i Or 335i? I know it's cheaper

3,335

True. Changing the oil is a simple procedure. All you need are low profile ramps, metric socket set, and an adapter for the oil filter cap located in the front of the engine bay. Drain the oil, change the filter and viola! Check out www.BavAuto.com (Bavarian Autosport) for some DIY videos. It could not hurt.

3,335

The turbo is more desirable and fun for that matter.

3,335

Still, go drive a Mini Cooper S. If you can drive a stick, they are simply amazing!

55

Yes I can i learned how on a 72 super beetle I will go check them out thank you for your info and I know now that I will most Likly go with the BMW 328i sedan or the 2011-2013 mini cooper s and if I get a mini it will be a convertible and that's a plus so thank you for your help! :D you have been very informative :D

3,335

You are quite welcome. My sister, the General Counselor, has an '01 328IC manual. She live in Greenwhich and works in the city if you need a local reference.

Best Answer Mark helpful
55

Thank you so much I just might check that out :D

10

Usually my shop charges around 10-120 dollars for an oil change. We usually work on mostly europeans. Do NOT go to a dealership, the rates are outrageous. You must understand...for euros in general...its all about maintenance. If you keep up with what is supposed to be done by mileage, also change transmission.