2011 Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee "service 4wd light"

10

Asked by Apr 22, 2017 at 09:06 PM about the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Hi guys,
Just was on a road trip, car was driving fine, then
stopped to get petrol and turned car back on and
drove off about 50 meters down the road and then
"Service 4wd" light came on and then the car would
gain revs but wouldnt find a gear. Turned the car off
and on again and drove off again for another
50meter and same thing deopped gear and could t
find it again and would just rev. Does anyone have
an idea of what it may be?

26,555

It should throw a code that's stored when you see the light....SIMPLE FLUIDS CHANGE...rear diff solenoid OR connector clip...software update...FUSE... Faulty wheel position sensors or brake switch can also cause these symptons.

10

I am in VIC, Australia... I had to have the car towed to a jeep dealer but they arent open over weekends so im doing a bit of research as to what it may be... i reved the car pretty high and it didnt click into anything... only moves about 50 meters before it falls out again from startup... but if u turn off and off again immediately the car wont move at all... from what i have seen its been a software update or code error from other forums... so im hoping it is that...

70

It needs a software update. Very common in Chrysler products, seems like they could remedy this problem. but, apparently they haven't tried for years. Why I don't know.

10

Jeep dealership says the transmission needs replacing. Does that sound right? Gonna cost me a bomb!

5,555

Hello, That can be a tough call, from 2 views... I absolutely know it is Highly Likely and Statistically probable, there is very little wrong with this vehicle. With that said, Dealerships are at the mercy of higher management, and it has become quite the normal policy to turn out guaranteed jobs in performance/products. It may be in there best interest to only accomplish this, certainly in this situation, with a Known "fix". And that may be accomplished only by>>Sell a complete "unit", in order to deliver the rate of long term customer satisfaction...( Yeah, I Guess!). Translation, As you can see from this forum, and by us in the biz, it's difficult, sometimes near seemingly impossible to find the "fix", or absolutely hit the nail on the head, The First Time, Every Time, On Time... And hence the dilemma, who do you trust? Who can You Find? How long will this LongTerm Fix take over the Longhaul to really fix? (How many times you "go back" to actually fix the problem)... And I know your personal point of view...that's a jack load of coin for a 5 or 6 year old Jeep (Pick Any Model/Any Brand...can/does happen). Bottom Line, If I couldn't find someone to get me going reasonably, I would trade, take up the slack of a loss, (versus more money in that jeep), and send that Old Girl down the Road. Payments will be easier to swallow than that large lump sum, for most. Good Luck, Hope this Helps, And, this looks like my final post...they don't like me, here... ATM PS:>>I have had a blast helping the few, if any...Take Car!

70

I seriously doubt the transmission needs to be rebuilt. Sounds like some serious coin is tryin to be made by the dealership. I'm guessing the mileage on your vehicle to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 70, or 80 thousand miles. try another option before you go for the transmission rebuild option.

10

They say it keeps revealing a 123 error code from the transmission they have checked it 3 times. Anyone know what that means?