After filling up the tank my 2011 Ford Edge check engine light comes on and power shutoff for a while

30

Asked by May 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM about the 2011 Ford Edge SEL

After filling up the tank of my 2011 Ford Edge, the check engine light comes on and power shut off for a while. I have to wait for 1 to 5 minutes and it start again, but check engine lights remain for a longer period.  After some engine start and stop, some times it goes off. This issue has occurs two times in 15 days. Does any one have a comment on this?

15,645

I can't imagine that putting gas in the tank suddenly caused a check engine light to come on. A loose gas cap can cause the light to come on but I can't believe that that would disable your car. Did you fill up with diesel by mistake?

101,795

Stop by auto zone and have codes read. They will do this for free. Post codes back on here so we can better help you figure out what's going on. If code comes back random misfire I would suspect bad gas.

15,645

What would you youngsters do without your codes? I.C.E. used to need only two things -fire and fuel.

101,795

Guessing at an issue is expensive. We would be throwing perfectly good hard earned money away. Of course some shops and mechs get paid to guess at issues and to throw expensive parts at an issue without a clue whether or not it's going to fix the problem.(it ain't thier money they throwing at it) This old country boy can't afford that.

15,645

True that a code tells you where to start looking BUT most mechanic horror stories are about mechanics that simply replace a dam sensor and don't even determine if it is a defective sensor OR WAS THE SENSOR WORKING AND ACTUALLY DETECTING A PROBLEM.

101,795

True. But they should be testing the sensors. With all the different emission sensors that are on cars today it only makes since to me to start with the codes and go from there. But without the codes I guess we can just tell everybody that the issue is under the hood somewhere. Lol.

15,645

Again - you hit it bang on..."BUT they SHOULD BE", absolutely; but a whole lot don't. Then there's those places that scan for a code and tell you need a new xxxxx sensor then sell it to you and send you home with your nice new sensor,problem solved right!- that isn't Lol to the consumer and it happens too too very often! Still enjoying your posts- keep it up and K.I.S. to start the search for the cause and the fix. But not so simple as just replacing a sensor and clearing the code and hoping nothing else is wrong.

101,795

So true

30

Many thanks for your answers. Now that you say, I suspect it could be a bad gas problem issue since “check engine light” comes and goes with every full-tank fill. I guess gas is not the recommend octane level, that’s why I use some additive from gas station to compensate. Next time “check engine light” comes, I’ll have mech read codes. And I’ll post them here. Thanks

15,645

I'm pretty sure the sensor wouldn't go off because you are using lower octane and at the same time disable your car. Do what dandyoun suggested and see if you can get the code(s) for free at this Auto Zone place. I don't have such in my area but look. Don't let them sell you anything until you post back here with the codes. Dandyoun will be able to at least point you in the right direct then.

30

Hi all The Ford Edge came with the same issue. These are the codes: P2196 and P2198. Thanks for your help

15,645

P02 xxx (where xxx is 200 to 299).......P01 xxx (where xxx is 100 to 199)...........who gave you the numbers you wrote.

210,865

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/174865-2006- taurus-has-error-codes-p2196-p2198.html

15,645

Thanks there Tom, aren't the codes suppose to conform to government regulations so that there is some kind of standard.? ... That's what University of Michigan course was stating. I only got into reading my own codes back when I found out I could do it on my dash ;so, the code numbers from scans are new to me......also thanks because dandyoun wasn't on line so I reached out to tennisshoes because I saw he was around.

210,865

NP, there are so many 4 digit codes today for the OBDii system. The 2 digit codes of OBDi were always fun, because you have to be a detective to know what to replace based on the code. It wasn't spelled out for you, every make car was different.....Here is a resource I use...http://www.obd- codes.com/trouble_codes/

15,645

@dsancheza --- one of the other guys added that those codes are for o2 sensors in banks 1 & 2 being stuck rich. Look for fuel pressure problem/leaking injectors/02 heater gone (apparently one heater for both sensors.) hope Tom's site & all helps.

15,645

@Tom -- my OBD codes are numbers (not long & short flashes) and I knew my code #'s were different than scan codes today, but I I thought there was a legal standardization for codes today that was P01, P02,P03,P04 followed by 3 digits. Now you have 4 digits.

15,645

How's a body to cope. ?

210,865

Change is good.

15,645

Not too sure about that last statement

20

I've got a question..I've got a 2009 ford edge. Just got it last month. So far I had to take it in 4 times. The gas cap light was on the causes my check engine light to come on. They replaced all sensors and everything that had to do with the fuel system. Mind you that this vehicle does not have a gas cap. It is an easy fuel system. This light comes on after I get gas. Help!! Has this happened to anyone. The mechanics don't seem to know. Very frustrating. I don't know what to do.

20

I have the same problem with my 2011 explorer. Engine light stays on, car stalls and shakes, especially after filling up. I use regular unleaded. I got codes P2196 & P2198. So frustrating. F-ing Ford! Should've known better

??? So last night after putting gas in my 2011 Ford fusion the check engine light came on as I got on the interstate. I stopped for a min and checked my gages turned the car off and back on the light remained on. It was very cold out -3, my car does not have a gas cap?? Was there any resolution to the previous person issue?

10

canister purge valve

Helpmyford.I have the same problem with my 2011 Ford Explorer..but mine never happened after getting gas...it usually happens when I step on the gas too hard...it shakes and boggs down but I found that once I left up and drive soft and slower for a bit, it goes back to the normal and check engine light goes off. I think this time the light engine light came on after gassing up and it stayed on this time. I have to try to run the codes and hope maybe the light just stuck on or take it to Ford and get it fixed. hoping I can hook up the tester and then just clear the code out if it's a boggus code with no meaning behind it. Hope something might help you with my sharing the story since we both share the same explorer. Good luck to you.

20

I just bought a 2011 Ford Edge and have put gas in it three times now. Every time it has not wanted to start right after putting fuel in it, and once the check engine light came on and stayed on. I had the code reads and it was an O2 sensor, code was reset and hasn't came back on since. So frustrating!!

I have a 2013 Ford Edge and since January of this year every time I go to get gas and fill up, my car won't start. It takes a couple times for it to start and it sputters once it does. The check engine light comes on for a couple days then goes back off.