Driver's door wouldn't shut

Asked by Jun 16, 2015 at 08:10 AM about the 2011 Toyota Camry XLE V6

I have a 2011 Toyota Camry XLE.  Last night, when I got home, I opened the car to get out and shut the door behind me. When it shut, it made a clunking sound, like when you have the car seat buckle stuck in the door frame.  This morning, I went to leave for work and opened the door, got in, and shut the door.  It wouldn't shut and made that same terrible clunking noise.  I checked the seat belt.  It was out of the way.  There was no way the door was shutting!  I went in and called the dealership to see if they could offer any suggestions on what to try.  They did not.  I went back out to my car and, amazingly, it opened and shut for me this time.  I went ahead and scheduled a service appt. for Saturday morning.  I have the extended warranty on the car and it just passed the 52,000 mile mark.  Any ideas what is causing the door not to shut on the driver's side?  I'm almost afraid to drive it, for fear I will be go somewhere and not be able to get it to shut. (and it is raining cats and dogs here in NE Ohio this week!)

11,405

It sounds like the latch on the door is getting hung up and/or springing back to the closed position after it is opened. If it does happen again, try jogging the handle on the door to see if that may release the catch latch. I would keep your appointment though. They will probably just inspect the latch and lubricate it unless it's faulty, they may just replace it.

39,135

Spray WD-40 all over the lock mechanism on your door. Take a screw driver and lift up on the little tab that locks over the door peg. Once the little tab is up, your door should close.

I appreciate the quick responses. When I went out to my car and got in, I don't know what made me check but I decided to see if my window was not rolled up all the way. It wasn't. After I rolled the window up (it was barely down) and tried to shut the door, the door shut like it should. Does that even make sense? Anyway, so far, so good. I am home for lunch so I'll find out when I leave to go back to work.

39,135

Unless it's some security thing, it's just a coincidence. I would spray the door mechanism anyhow. Must be dry and sticking. Should stop it from happening again.