My 2010 highlander waring sounds when making left turns, especially off camber. No light illuminates. If I go very slow in turn no warning sound. Hesitant to take to dealer due to cost

10

Asked by May 19, 2015 at 04:03 PM about the 2010 Toyota Highlander SE 4WD

44000 miles. Warning sound only as far as I know. Haven't seen a warning light flash or
stay on. Doesn't seem to make sound in right turn.

7,830

Ask next oil change, to carefully inspect and top up every fluid level. a sticky sensor or float, a contaminated sensor like coolant or washer fluid can send a false reading. the chime gets inputs from these in most vehicles and sounds the bell or lights the light. a toyota can have a wiring anomaly that eventually becomes an issue. many of their vehicles have harness issues. you can search recalls and bulletins and or wait till someone says they fixed theirs. once you verify there's not a good reason for it known, you can call it a quirk, not spend anything. If it starts bothering you, you can inspect for anything the chime sounds off for. you can research that on the automotive database at the public library free as well.

7,830

Another thing that I have seen is unexplained electrical happenings caused by water entry, they make little sense till you see the water creates connection to power, ground, or shorts to another circuit in its own certain circumstance. The location of the chime or buzzer being known, you can check that area and anything near that can leak and trickle there with surface tension. even a heater air intake if not a seam. plugged body drains should be cleaned periodically anyway.

10

I finally got my older son here visiting to ride in passenger seat, made my left turn and warning sounds with door ajar symbol in camera screen. misbehaving door was not identified because it happens so fast but rear tailgate sensor seems likely due to body flex and maybe too little pressure on sensor switch. Advice was good but I'm hoping it easier than your answer.

10

See my response to previous advice. I probably won't let this go until its fixed by me or dealer.

7,830

Cool, new symptom, and it acts up like you need it to, great. It's just like at work, they keep trying and changing circumstances till the vehicle acts up. Then they go from there. so is it lean? passenger weight? temp outside ? They are all factors and if it all leads to body tweak ? Aligning the component or cleaning the sensors can help, signs of arcing if it uses contacts can lead to the spot.

Best Answer
10

Got it fixed. The component was about the size of you hand but cost 565$ plus diagnostic charge of 44$. No problems now but it would have helped if dealer had told me to leave interior lights off so battery would not completely discharge. Guess I should have figured that out. Luckily had a charger so no harm.

7,830

Solved it, awesome for u. parts were steep and you saved money by being involved in the process. Diagnostic labor adds up too fast but when they are really involved and show you the problem, you go right to it. Happy 4u

what was the part called?

I am having the same issue right now and my car is not starting because my battery is draining. Im on the college budget and would like to know the part you bought or fixed. thank you