How important is your safety?

19,765

Asked by Nov 30, 2015 at 07:30 PM about the 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Statistical analysis demonstrates that newer cars are safer and are less likely to
injure occupants in a car crash,  so,  doesn't it make sense to drive newer cars
offering better safety protection and vehicle stability control?   So,  why would
you want to drive an "old classic "?   Are you sure that you would rather go back
to the so called "bad old days "?  Really???

71,305

Maybe so, but give me an old Chevy to drive any day.

71,305

You know me, I like old school stuff...

64,935

Just wait until your car decides to kill you to save a deer walking across the road. That day will be coming soon!

64,935

100 different computer systems are a 1,000 things waiting to go wrong. Active all wheel drive systems are far worse than old school full time AWD.

Best Answer
71,305

I live in deer country and you just mow over them with an older vehicle. The newer vehicles the deer have a good chance of coming threw the windshield more than anything,..still give me an old Chevy to drive, I'm experienced enough to handle it...

64,935

I will never drive a car that makes decisions for me. All these active systems are great in theory but in real life they are just a problem. I see a lot of posts on this forum from people that are desperate for answers because their mechanic and even the dealer cannot figure out what is going wrong. The life span of newer cars may end up being very short if all these computer problems cannot be solved.

71,305

There you go! Now you're talking. On the other side I think technology is good to a point.

64,935

Technology is a great servant but a terrible slave master.

19,765

Full_of_Regrets, I don't think this by itself has any bearing on the subject, when you wrote the following. "Active all wheel drive systems are far worse than old school full time AWD. " I marked your answer by accident. Actually, I think it's more about the following, vehicle stability control, air bags, front and curtain, pre-collision braking, lane departure, ABS, back up camera, etc. Of course, AWD is an additional plus. While I understand, people's desire for nostalgia and older cars with more sheet metal, the fact remains that newer cars with crush proof zones and reports from the Institute for Highway Safety, new cars have a distinct advantage. And, as far as I'm concerned, the computer controls are exactly what makes them safer, so all this angst about taking over your car's systems is not the problem at all and much less than having an accident. These systems are there to warn and protect you. Sure, I marked my Subaru Outback, but, there's plenty of cars with AWD and computers. And, sure there's cars with electronic problems, whether they have computers or not.