What's your price on safety?

14,115

Asked by Sep 11, 2016 at 03:35 PM about the 2010 Subaru Outback

At what point do you start thinking of changing out your car for a newer model,
not necessarily a brand new car, but, a late model with stability control, ABS,
front and side curtain airbags, Bluetooth audio system and other things like
parking sensors, backup camera etc.     

They did a study on the Internet and you can see this on YouTube between a
1959 Chevy Impala and a 2009 Chevy Malibu.... The 2009  car had no major
damage to the passenger compartment, while the dummy
occupants in the 1959 car were gone.....

So, what's your price on safety??    Saving money is all academic if you are not
around to enjoy it.

I personally know someone who ran into the equivalent of a brick wall going  
over 40 MPH with a 2010 Subaru Outbackk Limited and walked away unharmed
from the  accident even though the car was totaled.

78,205

And there in lies the problem, with all this rediclious stuff that they keep adding in, people forget how to drive like they should. Granted things like air bags, anti lock brakes and stabliaziation are good but they should also come with an off switch, there have been many times I wish I could have turned off the antilock, especially on ice and snow. Parking sensors? Just learn how to park. Backup cameras? If your aware of your surroundings and checking your mirrors like you should you don't need it either. And these audio systems I think they should do away with them, just a normal radio with traffic update channel for the drive to and from work or wherever. Personally I would rather have a 59 than one of these newer rigs. And that is what they are afraid of, an old tank like that can just lay waste to anything newer out today if it did get in a crash.

14,115

SO, you really would rather have the '59 ??? My first car was a 57 Chevy...it was cool, I had it in high school.. NO, I wouldn't feel safe in it today. Watch this video and let me know what you think? And, as far as backup cameras, maybe you don't live in a major metropolitan area like SoCal, but, if you did, you would definitely want these upgrades.... http://bgr.com/2016/01/26/car-crash-test-viral-video/

78,205

Boy where did they find that rusted out 59, did you see the rust fly when it was hit, no I would still take a 59 but not that one, I wonder just how badly rusted out it was under that paint. Poor 59, it's a shame they wrecked it that way. Beside what's stopping a guy from putting safety equipment in an old tank like that, sure it would cost but it then really would be rock solid.

14,115

tennisshoes, Hi, yes, it's remarkable what technology can do....I really think that trying to retrofit an old '59 as cool as they were would not be the same as something newer built from the ground up. I had a 1957 Chevy Bel Air....I know that they were cool, but, in today's world, it's a gas guzzling monster and not even as safe as a modern vehicle. Trying to retrofit any of these cars from the 1950s would be like telling someone to spend a lot of money to re-design the car to get 50 MPG.....

78,205

My very first car was a 1952 it got 41mpg, had a top speed of 55mph, was put together by myself from pieces of two cars, it was a Nash. So even back then they could get great mileage if they were tuned right, but everyone was sold on big blocks, big horsepower and big fuel consumption, big speeding tickets. But I think it would be cool to retro one of the monsters of that time with everything they have today just to see if it can be done. I have seen classic car body's put on late model frames with high tech engines and trannies, but none of the safety goodies. Could prove interesting.

14,115

tennisshoes- Interesting, so, you are talking about the Nash Metropolitan?? I see on Wikipedia that it's listed as an economy car. I was was recently at a car show and they had a couple of really nice samples including a few for sale.. these very strange looking cars apparently have quite a price command for an almost 65 year old car. Here's the link below for you, is this the car ? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_Metropolitan

78,205

Yep, I modified mine and opened up the wheel wells and adjusted the steering gear stops so the thing could turn a corner. Only real problem with it was if you ran through snow or slush and it froze that night the clutch pedal would freeze the pivot and rod for the hydraulic clutch, so you couldn't go anywhere until you thawed it out.

14,115

tennisshoes-. So, how long did you have your car and when did you sell it... I guess these cars have become collectible ... here's a remarkable convertible in spectacular condition... I'm not sure of the year, but, think it's a 1956?

78,205

I think it was back in 1968 or 9. There is one just down the hill from where I live that looks like the yellow and white one.

2,820

My Dad had an infamous green-and-white one in the late 50's. Somewhat safer than my bicycle? Not sure.

78,205

One of the two parts and pieces came from a wrecked one, it got hit by a train right at the rear end differential, it survived surprisingly well, I think cause it was so light that it was just spun out of the way, it did almost rip the differential loose.

5,625

Maybe you should move mark... Nobody cares about the traffic you deal with. Move to a small town, sell your aging pos 2010 SO, buy a used car you can learn to work on, maybe even a straight drive. Buy something that definitely doesn't have a warranty. You could even put a big yellow "student driver" sign on top and a "baby on board" sign in all the back windows. You should also mark this as "best answer".