AWD Disabling

25

Asked by Mar 26, 2009 at 10:38 PM about the 2009 Dodge Charger R/T AWD

Just curious:  Is there any way to transform the R/T AWD into an optional 2WD?  Because more than likely, it is just a computer that kicks the AWD in and out when it feels necessary.  Any information on how i can make this a reality, or am i way out of my head?

7,365

i have a 300c which is basically the same car. i only have a rwd but on the dash there is a button to push that turns the tracion control off. it might be there for the awd too. if you push that you should be rwd only i would think

25

well.......unfortunately thats not the case, cuz it kicks in and out whenever it wants......the traction control is a thing of its own..

195

you might want to try a diablo predator. You should be able to adjust the parameter from AWD to rear wheel drive. Does the AWD R/T have a traction/ESP control switch? You might also want to post this question on lxforums.com there are plenty of guys on there that know anything and everything about these cars.

7,365

i was jsut about to suggest lxforums. im on there too. i also said above try the tractiona control switch but he says it doesnt work. i honestly dont know why he would want to turn the traction control off myself. i would rather have a great launch off the line and not burn tires up.

25

im not so concerned about traction control, most the time its vital for a decent start off the line, i'm more concerned about AWD, because that slows the car and is also bad on mileage to an extent.......and i cant accelerate at high speeds without it kicking in........ p,s, thanks for the help!!

25

thanks,......i will try that

195

Frying tires are fun, that is why I have traction control disabled. If you have on some good slicks, you may not need traction control and want as much as you can get, it all depends.

195

I never understood why Chrysler released the charger and magnum with AWD package. It is counter productive to these cars. The only vehicle worth while in AWD is the Neon SRT-4. That is just me and my 2 cents.

7,365

live in wisconsin for a winter and theres your answer for AWD in the charger magnum and 300. the srt4 neon never got AWD because it was front wheel drive so its traction was already fine.

7,365

oh well when cruising i do believe the car is only running rwd. check with lxforums to be sure though. what mileage are you getting? you should be getting around 22-25 mpg on the hwy. i get 24 mpg with my 300C rwd. you should get about that with the awd too.

25

well im not TOO concerned of mileage, i am just looking for a way that i can make it 2WD and 4WD whenever i want. I DO have a traction control button, but that does not disable AWD. Will the Diablo Predator be able to alter this?

7,365

i cant say for sure if the diablo will or not. did you go to lxforums yet? those guys helped me fix 2 different things on my car in 1 day. they respond quickly and usually with the correct information

195

My thoughts won the race before my mouth. I meant to say the only vehicle worth while with an AWD should be the SRT4 Neon. I apologize for making myself look like an icehole.

7,365

haha i thought you might have meant that but i respectfully disagree. i can get around in my 300C in the winter but its tough and not exactly safe. if i had the AWD model ive been told it handles like a dream in the winter time.

345

2009-2010 LX Charger R/T & 300C AWD System info & Key Fobik Trick The 2009-2010 LX AWD models are equipped with the new BorgWarner Active transfer case and front axle disconnect system. These are two independent technologies, seamlessly transitions between RWD and AWD with 5 different driving situations for both the Charger & 300. The AWD system will then go back to RWD in under 30 seconds from AWD when not needed. The new LX AWD system is geared for fuel economy. #1- if one or both of the rear wheels slips (loses traction) it will go to AWD in 0.9 seconds, #2- if you use the 5-Speed Auto/Stick and shift threw the gears up or down it will go to AWD, #3- if you turn ESP off on your dash it will go to AWD, #4- if it's raining and the Rain-Sensing Wipers come on it will go to AWD, and #5- if the temperature is 4 degrees Celsius (39 F) and above it's RWD, if the temperature is 3 degrees celsius (37 F) or below it will go to AWD (temperatures on my 09 300C AWD) YOU CAN FULLY DISENGAGE THE AWD SYSTEM TO BE RWD ONLY WITH THE KEY FOBIK It's refered to as (dyno mode). Turn the key to the start position while you are driving and hold it there for 3 seconds, it works only after 16 Kph or 10 Mph. It will be RWD all the time regardless of the 5 different driving situations above, with Traction Control off, Electronic Stability Program (ESP) off & Brake Assist System (BAS) off. THIS WILL ONLY WORK ON THE 2009-2010 LX 300C & Charger AWD'S. When engine is turned off it will go back to normal mode. To access the EVIC screens to see RWD or AWD mode & more pages do the following: Press and hold the Music Note (♪) key and the Compass key (the two inner and bottom steering wheel buttons) for 7 seconds. Up and Down arrow moves through the screens. To exit just touch the compass key or the page key. You have a choice of both RWD or AWD when ever you like. To turn Traction Control off, Electronic Stability Program (ESP) off & Brake Assist System (BAS) off, this will also work on most 2008-2010 Dodge & Chrysler vehicles with the new key fob.

10

Unfortunately this does not work on the 2014 300 with push button start. I tried it several times and if you hold down the start butto for several secountd the engine stops.

20

pull the awd fuse.

I got 2012 durango was wondering how turn all wheel drive off seems you cant i worry bout cv joints wereing out

40

2011 AWD charger rt...i just remove my front axle disconnect fuse until I need awd...its a 10amp fuse up front under hood ...i think its in slot #48

Any idea how to disengage an 07 charger RT?