Engine shuts off at stop sign/red lights

5

Asked by Jun 23, 2015 at 03:58 PM about the 2009 Chrysler Town & Country Touring

I have a 2009 town and country. It drove just fine, until I brought it to the dealer
for the R03 recall on Friday, June 12th, 2015.
Right after that, the engine sometimes shut off at the stop sign or red lights.
Also, when I back from the parking, the car won't move forward after I shift from R to D -
but it can still go backwards. It doesn't always act like that.

So I brought it back to the dealer. Their technician said it is unrelated to the recall,
and after a week, they told me they couldn't find the exact reason, but
suggested me to replace the spark plugs and wires ($559.xx). Then we can start from there,
which means I may need to replace other parts later on - as they weren't sure the exact cause.  
I don't like the idea of the first step - so I drove it home.

Supposedly, the R03 recall is to prevent the car from sudden shut-off. Is that
just coincidence my car started to shut off right after the recall?

I also noticed that it is more likely to die if I brake harder - not 100% sure about this, maybe
just illusion.

21,720

Is there a check engine light on ?

5

No. That is why the dealer doesn't know the cause. They charged me $120 for not knowing the exact cause.

21,720

First I am going to suggest some simple things. Check air filter and also clean throttle body with throttle body cleaner spray replace fuel filter if have not done so in a while and add some fuel injector cleaner to gas tank. Lets start there first. Just let me know if the things I suggested you already had done.

5

To firebird338, I know little about the car, but will google how to do those steps. Seems many mentioned the throttle body in other forums.

21,720

Yes it should just google ( How to clean throttle body on the make , model and year of your vehicle).

5

cleaned the throttle body today, and then did a test drive. The engine shut off when I was backing from the parking. More precisely, I was backing from the parking, and shifted to D before the wheel returned all the way, then the engine shut off. It appears that I need to wait for the wheel return back to its 'normal' position, before shifting the gear.

30

It is possibly the EMCC solenoid if it is stalling after freeway driving at exits. Answer is here: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/60561- PLEASE-HELP!-2009-T-amp-C-4.0-stalling-when-exiting- highway-dealer-is-clueless!/page4

10

Yes, you are correct in that it stalls more frequently the harder you press on the brakes. I have had this problem for over a year. Cleaned the throttle body multiple times, changed the MAP sensor and also changed the EGR valve which many on another forum swore worked...none of it worked for me, will try the EMCC solenoid next

10

When approaching a stop sign or red light, have you tried to put the transmission into Neutral? See if it shuts off or stalls when you come to a stop.

10

Putting it in neutral does prevent it from stalling, but have to wait for car in front to move before putting in gear, just a hassle, now stalls while driving too

Sounds like your lock-up solenoid in your transmission. When you put it in gear at a stop, your transmission is locking up the torque converter and it stalls the car. There is a lock-up solenoid in the transmission that can be replaced without pulling the transmission. This happened to our van. Normally, the lock-up only occurs when you get in top gear while driving. Locking up when you put it in gear stalls the engine.

Sounds like your lock-up solenoid in your transmission. When you put it in gear at a stop, your transmission is locking up the torque converter and it stalls the car. There is a lock-up solenoid in the transmission that can be replaced without pulling the transmission. This happened to our van. Normally, the lock-up only occurs when you get in top gear while driving. Locking up when you put it in gear stalls the engine if you are stopped. Think popping the clutch while stopped.