How do you get rid of mass airflow in your mini cooper s? I have had the car a year, I do not drive it hard at all. Some say I drive it too soft. Hence the air pressure building up. The check engine light came on yesterday, I had a friend who works as a machanic,hook it up, said too much air in the turbo. He cleared the code, and told me to get on it and clean it out, I did that, and 5 minutes after driving, the light came back on. Car drives fine. anything else setting off the check engine light? My car sais I have active tire pressure sign in my info, but my tires are all fine,? Not sure what that is about.

20

Asked by Dec 10, 2014 at 07:50 PM about the 2008 MINI Cooper S

35,305

You can clean the MAF with mass air flow cleaner. Don't use carb cleaner of fuel injector cleaner. MAF cleaner only.

Best Answer Mark helpful
286,375

What 4 digit code did your friend get?

20

I am not sure, he just said that I had air in turbo intake, my words, not his exact lol. I just txt him, but no answer:( I was just glad it wasn't anything major. I have had black smoke come out my tail pipes when going up hills, and increasing my speed. I have also been told many times, that I need to drive it a little faster to clean out the carbon. I checked my info again, and all it reads is tire pressure monitor is active, which I will reset tomorrow. I added air not too long ago, and forgot to reset. A lot of things on these little cars. ...I checked my gas cap,it's tight. Been hearing a lot ofpeople say that can cause the light to come on.So, I also heard, topping off your gas tank after it clicks off is a no no, , could that have something to do with it?

1,345

You say you have had the car for a year with no issues, did you purchase it new or used, private party or dealer? If it was new, then the warranty will cover it, it would be helpful to know what year the car is. KenF is correct, you can clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor with MAF cleaner. Check the air filter and replace if dirty. The black smoke is carbon because you don't drive it hard. If it's a manual tranny, don't lug it, let it get some revs before shifting, if it's an automatic, put it in manual mode, put it in drive and kick the lever over to the +/- point, it will show you on the dash that it is in M mode. Tire Pressure Active is only showing the TPMS is working and active. No Worries on that point. Good luck

20

I bought the car used from a dealer. No warranty!The car is a 2008, automatic turbo Sport, and have never used the sport button either. We did an oil change at the beginning of summer, maybe July or so, changed the filter as well. The way it looked, it had never been changed before. Terrible. Drove perfect no issues. Sometimes it seems a little jumpy when I push the gas. And sometimes it seems to idle low, below the one, which I was told was normal. Does this info help with any more suggestions? I think I will try the MAF cleaner this weekend. Will the light go off if that helps at all? Or do I need to have it reset?

1,345

OK now I understand fully. You have had the car that you bought from a dealer with no warranty. The vehicle is out of manufacturers warranty as well. The fact that the oil looked dirty is one indication of the issue at hand. When you changed the oil, did you do it a Mini dealer in your area? If not what kind of oil did you use to refill it and what brand of filter did you use? How many miles are on the car? If you used anything other than synthetic oil 10W30 then the oil is wrong. As for resetting the check engine light, there are ways to do that listed in the owner's manual. Kim, I hate to see anyone with an issue with Mini Coopers. I can tell you that there were issues with the turbo in many of the S engines. I hate to tell you to go to a Mini dealer to have it diagnosed but I'm afraid that it has to be done. They will be able to show you everything about the Mini Cooper S from 2006 I wish you good luck.

1,345

One more thing, do not drive it hard as I suspect that there is an issue with the engine.

20

I did use Synthetic oil, A friend of mine, who has done many oil and filter changes, and who is very trust worthy and car savvy, changed the oil and filter. I do not know the brand of the filter, it may have been a set, oil and filter included. It was not cheap ass oil either. lol. The oil lamp came on and off and that is why and when I had it checked and changed. I could not believe the filter was that bad. I am surprised the car ran as good as it did. Or even at all. Why , if the re is something that could be wrong with the engine, is it not telling me more, like the check engine in red, or flashing? I have been reading my manual, seems that is there was something serious, it would be jumping out of my dash even more. I hate this. I have had a few Bmw's that this light kept coming on, tranny issues. But they drove like crap. I mean, really bad. Sometimes they would stick in second gear, or not shift at all. Real bad shape. I just don't feel the same in my mini. It drives great. No other signs of engine issues. Other then the light. I guess I will have an expert hook it up and tell me what is really going on. I so appreciate your advise!

20

And as for driving it hard, never. I might give it a little gas but I do not rev, or burn out in it. lol.:) I drive maybe 20 miles a day, have only put 9k miles on it since last November when I bought it. If the engine is bad, it is not from me, has to be the previous owner.

1,345

I know it's a great car but if you bring it to a Mini Dealer, they can check it out for you. Nothing against the other mechanic but Mini can tell you of any idiosyncrasies associated with that year and model better than anyone and just with the key, can tell you where and when it was purchased, any issues that it has had and what the codes are showing, they will also show you how to reset the check engine light.

20

Ok, so I put Mobil 1 oil, and OEM filter? I think that is what he told me. It was the recommended one to use. I have not checked the air filter, if dirty, could that set the engine light?

1,345

It could and judging from your initial report about the filthy oil would lead me to think that it would also be in that state as well. What happens when the air filter is dirty is that the engine starves for air, this could cause the light to come on.

20

Alrighty then. I'm checking the air filter tomorrow. And replacing it if needed. I'm sure it was also ignored like the oil. I noticed when my car shuts off I can hear air under my hood, is that normal? It's not a huge amount,or loud. I've always noticed it.

20

I have lots of power, my car is not sluggish at all. Wouldn't it be dragging when I accelerate, if it was lacking air?

1,345

Probably, but I am not there to drive it myself and am working blindly to help you.

1,345

The noise that you hear is the turbo winding down.

20

You are helping more then you know. Thank you:) Greatly appreciated too.

2B68 air mass flow plausibility i had the same issue on my 2008 mini cooper(not s),i changed the map and didn't work,so i clean't the butterfly throttle with a spray cleaner and i throw gas cleaner(pro tec) in the gas tank,the problem fixed,i dont know which of the two fixed it because i did it at the same time,but the car its ok and is been 3 months since,