Anybody know why my auxiliary usb jack would stop playing a usb memory stick? It has worked fine for 3 years but suddenly stopped reading it. The AM FM and CD functions work fine.

15

Asked by Oct 09, 2012 at 09:15 PM about the 2008 MINI Cooper S

3,395

Have you checked the stick in another USB device? Maybe the stick is corrupt? There is always the loose connection possibility. Start simple and work your way back to the source.

Best Answer Mark helpful
15

Thanks Michael. Yes I have checked the memory stick on my laptop and it is good. I've wiggled the connection and it doesn't seem loose so I guess I'll have to go to a car stereo place for an answer/solution.

3,395

Thanks and best of luck!

4,795

Sounds like you usb/aux jack has failed on you. Kinda common for that year of a mini. Also not fun to replace have to removed a few things from the center console area to get to remove it. Good luck Hope this helps.

15

Robert: Do you think I have to go to a MINI dealer for repair or would an auto stereo place know how to fix it?

4,795

You dont have to but it would be best they will know how to replace it properly without damage. The part is plug and play just make sure you get the right one for you vehicle there are many of these.

15

Robert: Thanks for your response. Its appreciated. You mentioned that this failure is "kinda common for that year of MINI". Is there some data regarding this or instruction to the dealers about this failure?

4,795

Sorry no data on this issue just something I have seen working in the dealers. Issues like this have normally only three outcomes one being the Ipod cable being bad but since your just using a usb drive that rules that out. The other is the radio unit itself had failed, I have seen it but less than the usb port failing. This is of course is a diagnosis only off what you have told me and what I have seen, there still may be another issue that may require looking into such as a wiring short or something like that. You really have two choices one is to replace the usb your self and see if it fixes the issue or pay a mini dealership to diagnose the problem for you. Personally I would just replace the usb port yourself and see if that fixes it first since they dont cost that much and aren't that hard to put in. Hope this helps you, if you have any questions please do ask them.