Went to a Maza dealership to have my broken rear springs replaced. After installation and an alingment procedure, i was informed that they could not align to spec especially the camber. Is this normal

Asked by Jun 02, 2014 at 03:04 PM about the 2008 Mazda MAZDA3 i Touring

After more that a year with a knocking sound in the R rear when travelling over bumps, I finally discovered a broken rear spring was the issue. Bought a new pair and took it to the Mazda dealer to install. They installed it and then told me they could re-align my wheels to spec because they could not adjust the camber and tried to sell me a whole list of parts totaling $1000.I refused to pay for those and questioned why before the work the camber was within specs and now they can't set it back. They blamed Mazda and told me I should take the issue up with them. My question; was this another instance of trying to sell parts that were not really needed. I know my shocks were fine and I did not have any other suspension issues other that the broken coil spring. BTW, my vehicle does not even have 25k miles as yet. my left rear wheel now have a very noticeable neg. camber to it. Please advise...

Have a local alignment/tire shop have a look at it. They will be able to tell you better than me what parts are bent or the issue in doing a proper alignment is.

Tom is saying that there are shops that SPECIALIZE in alignments and in his (and my) experience that is where you go for alignments.

The OE specs are to say the least, generous (R Camber -1.0*- -2.0*,) but it is not that uncommon to have alignment issues. Your best bet is to have adjustable upper rear control arms. Yes they are around $150 for the set, but will solve your camber issues once and for all. I did this, had an independent alignment shop make sure everything was WELL within specs and also similar side-to-side and my tires are much happier with me now. I wish I had known you needed rear springs. In fact a million of us that have installed sport spring could have given you a MUCH, MUCH better deal than any dealer could have. You paid a premium for sure. Don't go back to a dealer unless you absolutely have to. Also avoid the corporate shops (Good Year, Firestone, Midas, Meineke, etc) if you like keeping the money you've earned.

Jiffy Lube,Mister Muffler,Canadian Tire (for the Canucks)