Overheating problem ?

50

Asked by Gorrail Jul 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM about the 2008 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Hi my 2008 explorer is overheating if the rpm is over 2 it starts to overheat slightly ac
working perfectly if I drive with low rpm no problems no leak in the radiator computer
says no fan speed signal

68,205

Try replacing the thermostat, it's cheap and easy, see if the problem persists afterwards. If fan is not working see if it's getting power, look up fuse panel diagram and check those fuses to see if blown.

50

Does the fan clutch needs programming after changing because I Changed it and does the thermostat work on low rpm because I drived the car for almost a 1000 mile in that condition if the rpm below 2 no problem but when the rpm over the 2 it starts to overheat

68,205

If you replace the fan clutch you can have it reprogrammed at a dealer or shop. The computer controls the fan clutch speed. I don't know if there are instructions online that give tips on doing the reprogramming. There might also be an update for the program to address any known problems with the fan clutch. One question is, can you hear your fan running when the vehicle is operating at higher RPMs?

50

Yes and that's what confuse me because the previous one was also working with loud sound while on the high rpm but it free moving and it needed replacing but still confused does the computer no speed signal means something else beside the clutch

46,330

When you say it is overheating, what are you going by? The gauge on the dash? Are there obvious signs of overheating?

50

Yes the pointer start raising up today I opened the thermostat and I found it jammed and I moved it now my car without a thermostat ,and still when I speed up and the rpm goes above 2 after specific time it starts overheating and the pointer start raising up to the H temp tomorrow I'm moving the radiator to check if it's jammed or not

46,330

Removing the thermostat from the housing WILL cause the vehicle to overheat. The radiator could be stopped up or the coolant could be bad. Always use a 50/50 mixture when adding or changing fluid. Never use just water as it will cause the car to overheat. Question: Does the radiator fan operate off a belt or is their an electric motor attached?

Just got a 2005 Ford Explorer 3 days ago paid out right for it and now it is starting to overheat. Took it to advance and he said that there's rust in my reservoir but now I can't go but so far without it overheating. If there's rust in it what should I do now.

68,205

Try getting the cooling system flushed and inspected. Replace the thermostat and radiator cap, inspect the hoses for cracks or dry rot. If radiator is fouled with gunk and rust you might be able to flush it, or just replace it (they cost about $100 new). One of the features of radiator fluid is it contains rust inhibitors, along with being an anti freeze and anti boil. Chances are a previous owner was only adding water and not a proper coolant to your vehicle, so by all means get it serviced.