Instrument panel light stopped working?

160

Asked by Nov 24, 2010 at 12:01 PM about the 2008 Chrysler Sebring Limited

Chrysler 2008 Sebring Limited- Instrument panel light not working - stopped suddenly -   function/ warning lights etc still working.  Checked dimmer setting.  Any ideas of the problem?  Does it have its own fuse perhaps?   Any help appreciated.  Thanks.  James

550

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have a 2008 Sebring, and the light behind the instrument panel come on and off randomly. It's not the dimmer, because all of the other lights work. Just curious.

160

Yes- finally reached the problem back in February. It was the instrument cluster that they suspected in the first place. To cut a long story short- many trips back to Mercedes (who deal with Chryslers now) - they changed this cluster part first thinking that this was the problem- but the problem came back worse than before. They tried everything- even stripped down another Sebring that was in at the same time to see if anything was different etc. They came to the conclusion that it must be the cluster again-it was! They had fitted a brand new part which had the same problem- but worse. The two parts were tested by Chrysler back in The USA and that was the conclusion. Sod's law or what!! The service engineers were excellent and did not give up and it was still under warranty at the time. Sounds like similar issue mate to what your Sebring has- started quite randomly going off and on- but nothing else affected on the panel. Hope you sort the problem. They did say that that was the only thing that it could be and couldn't understand that it was not fixed.

550

Excellent, thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, my car is out of warranty. However, I was able to find one from a salvage yard for $65 total. I've already pulled out the old one, it isn't too bad, only 4 screws. So hopefully the replacement I got is working just fine. Sounds like these aren't very reliable if you had two of them with the same issue! Thanks again for your help.

70

Having the same problem Ave320. How did the part from the salvage yard work out? If it did work, did you change the whole instrument cluster. Did the new cluster show the correct mileage?

550

It worked perfect so far. I actually haven't had much time driving since I replaced it; however the old one was not working at the time I took it out, and the one from the salvage yard immediately worked when I hooked it up, so it seemed like that did fix it. And yes, I did replace the whole cluster. It's easy though... the plastic trim around it pops right out (just pop out the side of the trim around the radio as well). It's 4 hex screws holding the cluster in, couldn't be much easier. The only bad part is that the mileage is saved within the cluster, so it did not show the correct mileage. I found the cluster on uneedapart.com. They had a listing of salvage yards that had it and their price. Plus I signed up, and ended up having a handful of salvage yards email me that had it in stock as well. I ended up going with allianceautoparts.com. I called them to verify it was what I needed, and they were very helpful, and seemed to be more advanced for what you'd think of as a "salvage yard". I got the cluster for $65, only had 18k miles. Hope that helps, let me know if you have other questions

70

Thanks for the info. Ave320

670

I had the same issue with my car and the problem was the inverter. Here is a video that i found on youtube done by vehix411.com. This might be helpfull. http://youtu.be/itMWFGs_tss

40

since the miles stay within the cluster. How does it effects my car by me leasing the car?

175

Or you can check this link of how to repair it if will fail again and there's no warranty around: http://dodgecaliberinstrumentclusterlight.blogspot.com/2014/06/repairing-dodge-caliber-dash-lights.html