Ran out of gas in 2000 ford 7.3 diesel, I added fuel but it will not start now

Asked by Dec 14, 2014 at 08:42 PM about the 2001 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT Crew Cab SB 4WD

30

on the top of the engine there is a plastic cover. it will raise up and the fuel filter is accessible underneath there is a little blue switch, it is to let water out of the system. this was an easy fix for my boss's f350 service truck.

By running it dry, you may have also allowed air or sediment to enter the fuel system.You might have to bleed the fuel system and avoid running it dry, especially in cold climates. There should be procedure info. online for your vehicle.

Try turning your key to prime fuel pump 3 or 4 times 30 seconds each, do not start. Also replace fuel filter.You will hear air, then all fuel entering. When you hear fuel, engine should start. Good luck.

I know no one cares now since this is 2 yrs old but maybe next person will. This happened to me last night. Took an hour for it to finally start. Too many cooks spoil the F250! I am a woman so I had 9 guys all "experts" fiddling with it all trying different things, most things counter productive. mine is a 2008 6.4. The key has 4 notches, or clicks, not 3. So part of the issue was guy who thought he was priming my pump wasn't turning the key far enough. Just because he could hear the door dinging, and dash lit up, doesn't mean he had it turned to RUN, that's the next click. This thing has the extra accessory package so it's got a lot of electrical that runs off it, not just fuel pump. That was first issue. had I been doing it I woulda known bc I do this regularly at oil change place when I have my filters replaced often. Second, tow truck guy is under hood turning my release valve. Letting out any pressure I need to build up. Also, when you turn key don't do it too fast. I had diesel mechanic show me. Turn key, wait a few seconds. Don't turn key forward and back as quick as you would release to start it. WAIT 8 seconds. Then do again. Do this at least 5-10 times and WAIT before trying to start it. Don't do it once, try to start, do it again, try to start. That doesn't count. Do it several times before you try to start it. Patience is key. Do not let some guy release pressure. Don't assume it's on bc you hear door ding, interior lights, radio...it's still another click past that, in this one anyway. Also, pumping pedal does no good. Why people instinctively do that in 2017, I don't know. When you finally do get it to turn over, even ever so slightly it gets cranked IMMEDIATELY give gas and don't let up for at least 20 seconds. So many times they got it to turn over then let it drop. Then you gotta start all over with the priming...soon as all my "help" left, I used patience and got it going on my own. Turn Past alternator, past interior lights, to next click. 4 total positions: off, alternator, run and start. That may sound simple but believe me that was the first thing being overlooked. You don't count the clicks on normal starting so it's not something you think about til you're in crisis and in a hurry. wait. Then when it is finally time to start it, have it in position 3 wait the 5 seconds but don't go back to off then start, go from 3 straight to 4. Soon as it turns all the way over, quickly but lightly push gas pedal down. Don't floor it, don't push too little or it'll die. 3200 rpms, hold it for 20 seconds and should be good to go. Those guys had mine turn over so many times then dropped it, then tried to turn it over again without repriming. This is this truck's second fuel system, replaced $8500 for this exact type of stuff. Impatient mechanics not correctly priming filters, not knowing the key has an extra click a lot of cars don't have etc. these 6.4 aren't your daddy's 1999 7.3, they're finicky. This was an experimental year with all the new regulations. No matter what someone says they've had a diesel before, if they didn't have an 08 they don't know. This is a different animal. It requires patience and being gentle. most of the guys who helped me had work trucks, their bosses truck. Not their truck. It's totally different mindset when your own livelihood is at stake. The things they were doing to my truck made me cringe. They about fried my starter. That's another thing, if it doesn't turn over within 2 seconds, it's not ready! Holding key down for 5 minutes turning starter the entire time isn't gonna help. Then release and immediately trying again before the starter has even had time to stop spinning made that eeeegggkkk sound. Do not floor the gas, slight firm steady pressure 20 seconds or more then all the air should be out. So many times they got it to crank then dropped it by flooring it or pumping pedal. It's fuel injected, don't pump it. Then another guy said it was probably flooded. No it wasn't it wasn't primed, starter was exhausted it's not meant to be continually ran it's to crank only. This is a big truck with long electrical system, takes more than a nano second for current to reach the fuel pump....smh. Hope this helps someone else. I almost gave up til I decided to calm down and let it all rest, cool off 15 min, then started from scratch and it cranked right up. Only thing I needed a man for, after I kissed it, was to shut the hood. I can't reach it without step ladder lol